Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tempered or Safety Glass?

I want to replace the plastic in the Bomar stateroom hatch that opens to the transom. Choices are plastic, tempered glass, and safety glass. Tempered glass shatters if broken, safety glass cracks, but stays intact. Plastic scratches and clouds. I'm thinking the way to go is safety glass. I was thinking that if it got hit, I'd rather have it keep the air/water out rather than shatter and leave a big hole.

Opinions?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Re: Tempered or Safety Glass?

I know this is not answering your question, but why do you want to replace it? Is the window cloudy? I was thinking it would be easier to polish the cloudyness out like they polish car head lights. Scratches buff out too. I bet it would be cheaper too.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Translucent is more the word! I've tried polishing it out, not much success, maybe I just wasn't agressive enough (didn't try 320 grit).

I like the idea of something you can squeegee. Plastic just scratches way too easily when cleaning.

A new piece of safety glass is about $40, tempered $60.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 02-01-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Was the hatch window translucent for privacy?

If you go to laminated safety glass, be sure the PVB center layer is well sealed from water or it will cloud in from the edges.

Bobk

I reworked my two transom Bomar ports and replaced the acrylic with tempered glass about 4 years ago. So far, so good and we've been in some pretty heavy Great Lakes waves with her.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Interesting thread as I am trying to decide about several hatches and the center section of the flybridge windshield. I have considerable crazing in all of them. Does the crazing extend all the way through the thickness of the plastic? I can't really tell and am hoping to come up with a temporary solution and spend the money on other more pressing concerns. Being a new boat for us, I obviously did not set a high enough budget to fix everything we are finding now that we live here...

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Was the hatch window translucent for privacy?

If you go to laminated safety glass, be sure the PVB center layer is well sealed from water or it will cloud in from the edges.
    Good question. Not really sure. It seemed more clear when we bought the boat, but has deteriorated rather quickly. We have curtains on the inside, so privacy is not really an issue.

Didn't think about the plastic layer clouding up. I replaced some sliding windows on my old boat with safety glass and never had that problem.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack but, in addition to the glass/plastic. The paint/powder-coat on mine is thoroughly shot. The exterior side appears to be paint and the interior is some form of coating that is almost vinyl like.

What all have people done? The ports are almost $2k apiece new and I don't like them enough to buy new so am thinking either need to have them refinished or put new stainless ones in their place when the hull gets new paint next winter.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack but, in addition to the glass/plastic. The paint/powder-coat on mine is thoroughly shot. The exterior side appears to be paint and the interior is some form of coating that is almost vinyl like.

What all have people done? The ports are almost $2k apiece new and I don't like them enough to buy new so am thinking either need to have them refinished or put new stainless ones in their place when the hull gets new paint next winter.
    The outside frame on mine was corroding too. I sanded it down, put some aluminum primer on it and then some Awlcraft. Still looks great after 5 years. Inside frame is in good shape.

I called Bomar today. They sell replacement lenses in clear and gray made of Lexan.

How Much Moolaa far the replacement? The other post said 2K for the port windows? Thats just Nutts.
    My back window is kinda cloudy, but I have a screen over it outside and heavy curtains on the inside. I never see it until we anchor out, then we flip up the window.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC