Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hynautic Hydraulic Steering

So the piston of my system started leaking. Its a K-02. I opened it up ans the SS shaft is pitted. Where can I find a shaft? Thanks

Re: Hynautic Hydraulic Steering

Micky, if you can not find a new one, you may be able to repair and dress the pitted one in the area where the seals ride.

Funny, mine has leaked a drop or two a week for years and today when I checked the boat there was at least an ounce all over everything. Was rebuilt about 15 years ago, so I will be right behind you on the tear down. I wonder if the cold has caused the seals to shrink up? Is your's also in the cold?

Good luck on the shaft.
    Regards, Bob K

Mine has been leaking a little bit for months and last week when I went to the boat I saw the air pressure was in 0 and when I looked at the piston it was all covered in oil. The previous owner used ATF oil

Both my boats run hynautic. Dive boat when it's cold requiers a top of of air once in a while. The Hatt is pretty much no trouble both cylinders were rebuilt by southern charn. The dive boats required a new shaft being made since it was pitted. Don't rememeber how much it cost but they handled it. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

If you can't find a shaft, see if anyone in your area does metalizing. Process that cuts the shaft to remove the damaged area and welds it back to rough dimensions and turns and polishes to original finish dimensions.Was used in the heavy equipment industry to repair damaged seal areas and areas that spun bearings on all kinds of shafts(not crank shafts)
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

http://www.fishing-catalog.com/hynau...utic_intro.htm

Here is a site with a fair amount of hynautic info
    Bill