Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bottom Questions

We are having our bottom media blasted now. The boat has had no bottom maintenance for the last eight years so to no ones surprise we have a couple hundred blisters. There are also another 60 to 100 that were not repaired properly or not dried correctly so they need attention also. None appear to be in to the fiber glass to speak of mostly cosmetic.

The yard is recommending a barrier coat after the blisters are repaired. I would like to hear pros and cons on that.

Also what rate per hour is fair for blister repair? I am really good with a grinder and filler and I am almost sure I could do it in a week (but I don't want to).

As always we want to hear the good the bad and the ugly!!!!!

Thanks so much,

Russ and The Admiral
    43DC#511

PS: The Admiral is sooooo hooked on our new toy she wants to get her Captains licence! Am I gonna look good sippin a cool one on the back deck!!!!! I love it!

Re: Bottom Questions

Your gonna here advice on this from lots of folks. It's the proverbial dead horse topic... Blisters and Hatt's are like McDonald's and fries. You can't have one without the other. Most folks will tell you - leave them alone, there no big deal and usually purely cosmetic. However, if you're taking the bottom off and starting afresh (and have the cash to pay for the work), I'd have the bottom peeled, dryed out real good (including the required washes to dry the blisters out), repair, then put the barrier coat on, then the tell coat of bottom paint (1 coat), then your 2 coats of bottom paint. Rates in our area (Great Lakes) are $100 a linear foot without the blister repair. I've contemplated having the yard blast my bottom, and then DIY on the barrrier coat and paint, but the timing issues of when the paints flash is a pita and I would save about $350 - not worth it in my eyes.

Go for it - even if for cosmetic reasons!
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Hard to say without seeing it but yes most of the time a blister repair isn't needed. However, If the bottom is blasted and the blisters are opened up, then you have to fix them and seal up the bottom. Complete bottom job runs around $300ft. Rates will vary based on location but that's about what you should expect for a complete job. What ever you do make sure you use a good ablative paint when finished, that way you'll never have paint build up again. Micron 66 would be my choice, but again that can vary based on location. When finished you'll have a more efficient boat. A smooth bottom will make a big difference.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Hard to say without seeing it but yes most of the time a blister repair isn't needed. However, If the bottom is blasted and the blisters are opened up, then you have to fix them and seal up the bottom. Complete bottom job runs around $300ft. Rates will vary based on location but that's about what you should expect for a complete job. What ever you do make sure you use a good ablative paint when finished, that way you'll never have paint build up again. Micron 66 would be my choice, but again that can vary based on location. When finished you'll have a more efficient boat. A smooth bottom will make a big difference.
    If they open them you need to repair them as stated. Also do not rush to meet your schedule as the better you sry them the better the repair. There is always varied costs in different areas. Also sometimes cost is associated with condition. More work cost more. If the bottom is blasted clean you should have the best chance to get an accurate cost estimate.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My two cents is, if you are going to the expense of a total bottom job then I would do coppercoat instead of bottom paint. You will get a good ten years out of it before the next bottom paint.

Something else to check out. http://www.coppercoatusa.com/

Stuart

One more thing.......How wide is the boot stripe suppose to be? the PO had painted over it almost an inch with bottom paint. What I would like to do is go back to factory width and a 1/4" white stripe below and then bottom paint.

Before going back to OEM, take a look and see if the water line has changed on the boat. Like most of us, these old girls get a little heavier with time. You may want to bring the bottom coat up a bit... Just sayin'.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Smile Re: Bottom Questions

I finished up my bottom job and its a job took 3 months . But i tried to do a good job on fixing all 10 thousand blisters I used system 3 epoxy putty it took a 1.5 gal with three passes on the blisters and three sandings then i put a coat of west over the bottom and as it got tacky i put the first coat of Interlux 2000 so it bonds. Now you have up to 3months to put the other 6 coats of Interlux on then the three coats of bottom paint .Have Fun I did. I used Petit ultimite 60 bottom paint.

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    I finished up my bottom job and its a job took 3 months . But i tried to do a good job on fixing all 10 thousand blisters I used system 3 epoxy putty it took a 1.5 gal with three passes on the blisters and three sandings then i put a coat of west over the bottom and as it got tacky i put the first coat of Interlux 2000 so it bonds. Now you have up to 3months to put the other 6 coats of Interlux on then the three coats of bottom paint .Have Fun I did. I used Petit ultimite 60 bottom paint.
    Recheck your declared schedule. Its best to recoat the interprotect when its still tacky but up yo 2talk weeks or so depending on weather. Epoxy blushes out chemicals thatneed to be removed before declaring plus you will need to sand to get soon toothed for the new stuff to adhere to.

It should be only a weeknod two from the time you start the coating until finished. The drying is the long time most often.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

They are finished with the blasting and I do not have a time line to be done. Our estimated schedule for splash is mid March. (we doin lots of other stuff) I do want it done right I just do not want to find out too late I paid too much!

Now let me throw a curve in. Anyone Know a good supplier for exhaust hose? 8" and yes I am checking with Sam's on Monday! I buy everything I can from them.