Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Depth Sounder

Question Depth Sounder

I need to install a new sounder on my 1988 40' double cabin. I intend to use the sleepy old system as back up (works fine but sometimes goes away to think about things before coming back). I think a low end graphic fish finder should work fine, nothing fancey. Question is: does "shoot through" hull types do the job on older hatties thick hulls (or must I haul the boat to install a through hull system)? And if NEMA capable, shouldn't it network with any new (NEMA) chartplotter?

Bill

Re: Depth Sounder

I have installed a number of x ducers inside the hull. Usually a backup or temporary install. You can get them to work, but it can be trial and error. I use silicone sealant and then push down on x ducer and wiggle to get air out. If it does not work try again. If it is a high end video unit I would go with the thru hull install. Dave

There are some new (and priced like new technology it expensive) transducers by Airmar which will "see" or "hear" through the hull. Since you already have a transducer, it is probably installed through a hole in the hull. You would be better off just taking it out and installing a new through-the-hull transducer in the same opening.
    NOne of these companies make their own transducers. Virtually all of them buy them from Airmar. I have had good luck with products from Garmin, from Northstar (not cheap) and Furuno. Some of the newer RayMarine stuff looks pretty good but I have not used it myself. In the past Raytheon had a reputation for letting their first customers figure out all the bugs in their new equipment. Personally I would get an inexpensive LCD Garmin or Furuno. Get the best transducer you can with it, it makes a difference in how they work. A good transducer will give you better info, better pictures, and last longer. A good source for info on transducers is Gem Electronics in South Carolina. They are a small outfit but know a lot about transducers and can give you good advice as well as selling them, and the cables to hook them up.
    Many of these units come with transducers or not very many choices about what you get. Furuno seems to be the exception- they often sell the units bare and let you pick the transducer that you want for your boat. That, to me, is a better approach.

I have a 6 year old, inexpensive, gray-scale Hummingbird on the lower helm of my 1979 43C. The transducer is epoxied to the inside of the hull about 8" off center of keel and about even with shaft logs. It works well in showing the bottom, structure and fish in depths up to 20' (I haven't tried it in deeper water, as I am on the bridge most times). My understanding is that "shooting" through solid glass is much less of a problematic than glass with bubbles(poor wetting of mat). I tested mine prior to expoxy by anchoring in 40' feet of water and putting the transducer in a used ice bag 1/2 full of water and setting it aginst the bottom for trial locations. Everywhere, except directly over the keel was fine for my purposes.

Talking Re: Depth Sounder

Thanks all. You guys have provided me with exactly what I needed to know and go on. Appreciate it!

Bill