Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Why it pays to start from the ER, part 9425

Not a Hatt, but the lesson applies...

today anchored in Normans cay, and about ready to head to Staniel... As i usually do, I fire up the big Cats (1400hp 3412Es) from the ER... Stbd fires right up, impeller cover cools off. Port too but I keep hearing a noise... Sounds like an electric motor running. Smooth, barely audible over the engines so at first i dismiss it. Go up to then FB and notices voltage on port is 24v vs 26 on stbd

Head back down, humming noise still there. Watermaker is off, some ACs running but this sounds different... Follow the sound and it turns out the starter has disengaged but the motor is still running

Brand new starter, replaced two weeks ago by cat dealer with new one. Shut engine down and batt switch. Batt switch back on, motor starts again... Batt SW off, hit starters with hammer, all too for now, engine fires right up, starter shuts down as it should. We make SCYC on time at sunset

I had the old starter replaced because a few times it didnt sound right, felt like it wasn't disengaging properly. It still works so i have it stored on the boat to pull parts or swap it so that s not the point..

Point is that it really pays off to have remote switches in the ER, use them and listen up! After having a raw water pump loose prime, I also always feels the pump covers after a start..
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Why it pays to start from the ER, part 9425

Standard procedure for all responsible operators, if not, should be, also, a quick look out the porthole to be sure your not moving after they fire up.

i like that idea....

i am going to start doing that all the time.

I also like the feel test on the impeller housing.

My IR temp gun and hearing protection are my good freinds in the ER.....
    I would not leave the dock without either.
    Last edited by RT46; 12-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.

4. Re: Why it pays to start from the ER, part 9425

I "usually" pull the center hatch while starting... But if there's a ton of people on board I don't.. But the admiral has a great ear and will hear something that's "out of place" anyway
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

What's the situation regarding having a raw water pump lose prime? Was it a normal rubber impeller pump...are they not all self priming?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

They are supposed to self-prime. But if they are started dry I think the impeller can burn in the time it takes to pull water up to the pump chamber....

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    What's the situation regarding having a raw water pump lose prime? Was it a normal rubber impeller pump...are they not all self priming?
    Some of the 3412 Cats had a raw water pump that's needs to be primed. Depending on the setup, it can be tricky and if not done properly, they will pump water but not enough to cool properly. Found this out from a sea trial after a haul out.

As for the ER start I completely agree. If I don't do the start from there I usually go in for the pre run inspection right away. ER start and stops were on the list for my 46C but I never got to them. I still would open the door and climb in before leaving the dock. On the 65C there no excuse not to go in there. There's so much room and access in and out is great. Makes ER checks a breeze while under weigh.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 12-30-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Jack Sardina

the ER on the 65 is really cool.....

if i had that boat i bet i would live in the ER....

maybe even put a remote TV, GPS, depthfinder, and full set of controls down there, drive from the ER....ha, just kidding.....but it would be cool....

Quote Originally Posted by RT46 View Post
    the ER on the 65 is really cool.....

if i had that boat i bet i would live in the ER....

maybe even put a remote TV, GPS, depthfinder, and full set of controls down there, drive from the ER....ha, just kidding.....but it would be cool....
    Some owners do that to the crew! It is a great ER but I wouldn't want to hang out there for too long after a run.
    Jack Sardina

They re standard rubber impeller and should not have issues. But once after a 1000hr service (intercoolers, etc) one if them didnt re prime. Another time a pin hole in the fuel cooler (intake side, between strainer and pump) also caused one to loose prime. Checking the cover has become a habit, better catch it right away before destroying a $300 impeller!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat