Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fenders

Fenders

I've moved my 52c onto a T dock and will be tied along side using fenders. The dock has some exposure to small amounts of wave action and winds. I'm using two large stacked fenders per piling (secured to boat) for a total of three sets. I have used this setup for short stays under similar circumstances through some good blows so have limited experience. My question is; Should I be concerned about the plastic fenders rubbing / damaging the hull paint in the long term? If so, recommendations on how to arrange fender / buffer system? Thanks in advance for any comments. Brett

Re: Fenders

Anything constantly rubbing against the hull will eat up the paint. Can you rig up a set of mooring wips? You just need to keep it away from constant rubbing.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Use soft fender covers... Forgot the brand, there very soft. Obviously not the Chinese crap!

My concern is the fenders moving out of position. On a permanent tee head i d be tempted to use fenders and fender boards left permanently attached to the pilings/docks
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yup.... fleece fender covers. I think there are a few manufacturers out there these days. Really nice but they're a little pricey.

I've bought quite a few from Maine Coast Marine Products. Good service and they also offer embroidery.
    Last edited by Scottbee; 12-28-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    I've moved my 52c onto a T dock and will be tied along side using fenders. The dock has some exposure to small amounts of wave action and winds. I'm using two large stacked fenders per piling (secured to boat) for a total of three sets. I have used this setup for short stays under similar circumstances through some good blows so have limited experience. My question is; Should I be concerned about the plastic fenders rubbing / damaging the hull paint in the long term? If so, recommendations on how to arrange fender / buffer system? Thanks in advance for any comments. Brett
    It is crappy but works, i saw it at Jarret Bay it is a bumper strip attached to the pole or
    piling vertically it stuck out about 8 inches rubed on the bumper rali not the paint. This stuff is bolted with lag bolts that are sunk into the bumper strips. It is v shaped and is made of a gray rubber. It is grate i do not know where it came from but it is all over the jarret bay lift slip. I got two 8 foot sections from them it was left over from the building of the place. They use it at the gas pumps also Jarret Bay is lockated on the ICW just outside Morehead City it is a no wake Zone but the current flyes..At the fuel dock. There is a sign which says (approach fuel dock at the speed you want to hit it )
    refering to current Tim
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 12-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.

If you go with fender covers, I've been using Cape Hatteras Marine Products for years. Their covers are thick with a soft felt like exterior. They actually buff my finish. Keep them rinsed clean and they last many years.

http://www.capehatterasmarine.com/
    Art

for a cheap set of fender covers, buy a pair of sweat pants and cut the legs off, turn them inside out and slip over the fender. not pretty, but cheap and effective. throw them away and replace every so often

For what you can get as sweat pants you can probably have someone sew up some fleece. This is what we did with Freedom. We were never able to locate enough matching sweat pants to make a set and by the time we added it all up, it didn't work for us where we were. YMMV.
    The only draw back was that they faded and look sic now. However they still do the job, going on two years now, and, they keep the fenders quiet when the boat is rubbing on them and you are trying to sleep.
    If you go here http://danmapes.blogspot.com/2012/11...hope-town.html one of the photos in that entry has the fenders. We gave her a fender, the material, and she cranked out 6 of them for us at a very reasonable price.
    Just ask for UV resistant thread etc. if you can.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 12-29-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

I just bought 4 capehatterasmarine fender covers which are very thick and have our boat name embroidery on the side. The fender covers cost about 35/per fender, to the door. Time will tell, but they seems good so far. Funny thing is Cape Hatteras Marine is located in the sunny state of CA. I would have thought NC.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I've had good luck with fleec covers from praktek.com. Just ask for the double layered and it will be the last covers you buy. I bought the single layer and they lasted 4 years. I'm going to reorder the double layer (monogrammed of course)! I've been happy with their covers. For chaffe gear, skip praktek and use "mega fend" fluffy.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY