Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Port engine room water accumulation ??

On my 1972 53MY, whenever I run any or all of my HVAC units, I get accumulation of water in port ER bilge. After several hours it will activate the bilge pump. Today I suctioned the bilge dry and it remained dry until I ran the heater and noticed an immediate trickle of water from the corner where the inboard stringer meets the forward ER bulkhead. The hole communicating with the galley bilge is plugged and although this may not be totally occlusive I see no water on the galley side of the bulkhead. There is no leak from the sea water pump or four units mounted on the aft ER bulkhead. The drain pans from all the blowers (?) are connected overboard except cannot verify connection from forward stateroom as it runs behind a washer/dryer unit.. However, the trickle of water occurs seconds after activating the system so I assume it is salt water. The location of the water trickle stumps me- any thoughts??

Larry
    Seadation

Re: Port engine room water accumulation ??

I just had a similar occurrence and it turned out to be the sea strainer. The gasket at the top was not gasketting and a very small trickle would happen. I fixed the gasket and no more issues.

Take a look.

Stuart

I would look for a leak in sea water plumbing. The strainer should not cause a leak while the pump is running being on the suction side, when the system is off then yes

The most likely culprit is the manifold between the pump and the AC. Way too often, people use brass fittings which sooner or later will corrode, leak and fall apart. Don't ask how I know...

Check it carefully and if some of the fittings are about to go, replace it with PVC

While you re in there, check the fittings around the strainer. Bronze Nipples are hard to find and brass is often used, with crumblingly disastrous results.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

All of the sea water plumbing is in the aft of the ER. After obtaining a dry bilge the water formed in the most forward part of the ER bilge and runs aft. That doesn't make sense. Will re-check pump and manifold fittings again.

Would it be possible that the pressurized seawater discharge is being forced into a another drain line that enters the " drain manifold" that is in the ER , running forward and causing a leak ?

All discharges to to the sea chest on the hull side, from the aft end of the ER so it shouldn't puddle forward

Could it be the condensate from the forward salon AC leaking down into the ER? Long shot but condensate hose often clogs since they are often routed too horizontally

And it's only when you run the AC? Otherwise could be a galley sink leak moving aft, or even a leak from the shoreside fitting which is above the forward end of the ERs
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I guess the condensate is the only other source however it is a large amount of water to form so rapidly and there is no drainage from the other three units. Also, the drain is on the starboard side. I was trying to avoid pulling out the washer/dryer but I guess I need to verify the forward unit connection. This only happens with the HVAC running. ( Pascal- this is my last leak!)

Quote Originally Posted by llldks View Post
    I guess the condensate is the only other source however it is a large amount of water to form so rapidly and there is no drainage from the other three units. Also, the drain is on the starboard side. I was trying to avoid pulling out the washer/dryer but I guess I need to verify the forward unit connection. This only happens with the HVAC running. ( Pascal- this is my last leak!)
    From your first statement it happends so quick seems as if it could not be a sweating issue. I would start the surch at the sea water pump. As stated previousely its probley between sea strainer and pump water discharge where pressure is. If memory serves me from pump to where watter is discharged overboard there is little pressure.
    I had sorta the same issue when all compressors were running no watter. But when only one working there was a small leak in the discharge side of the pump the housing it was a small mist. I just replaced the entire pump, i purchased from one of the members all well. Tim

Ok, I found the source of water and am embarassed that I didn't figure it out sooner. As it turns out the water level in my ER sea chest with the HVAC running is about 12 inches and my ER bilge pump enters the sea chest at 10 inches from the bottom- water was backing up thru the bilge pump. With the HVAC off, the wrer level is below the bilge pump line. I raised the bilge line above 12 inches and no back flow. On the outside of the hull is a flapper valve, rather than a clamshell, over the sea chest exhaust. It is affixed at the forward leading edge, opens easily and assume it prevents water from entering sea chest when I go forward. Is the flapper / clamshell necessary? I'm thinking it is the size of the sea chest drain hole that is largely responsible for the water level?

That's should be pretty standard. Check that there is no restriction behind the flappy thing like debris, barnacles etc

I suspect that someone replaced the bilge pump hose but failed to include a rising loop. If you route the hose 18" high and then down that should solve it
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On my 53MY there was an original forward stateroom A/C on sb side the had it's own compressor in the cabinet above the washer/dryer. This unit did not use the engine room compressors like all the other A/Cs. Maybe you have one like that and the raw water for it is getting over to port somehow?