Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: creating hot spot at marina and onboard

Man, I saw this thread and thought one of you guys was starting a strip club at one of the marinas.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    I know you stated you have an Iphone, but for those watching this thread..... We have Verizon droids, and use an app called Fox Fi. It is free and works great.

Blaine

Blaine

Did not know about this one seems you have to down straight through them if your sprint! Seems with my unlimited data they don't want me to use it well too bad got it working need to test it out later on my laptop. Looks like I my owe you a Drink
    Thanks for posting that one!
    Dan
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

At first glance it all looks great until you look at the fine print and see the 3 to 5 gig monthly limit

I ve had a data plan with AT&T for 6 or 7 years now and I keep the uimited plan as long as I don't upgrade to 4G. A few months ago it was time to replace my older 3G card and ended up buying a refurb Sierra USB 3G card. At the same time I ordered a Cradlepoint router following George's advice and it works really well. Connection is always up and restarts instantly when i plug the router and card

3G is fine with me, you can stream video with almost no buffering

That said check your plans and beware that streaming uses Gigs of data

If you are at marinas or anchorages where wifi is available, it s hard to beat the Rogue from Wave. It will get you a good connection up to 1 to 2 NM. A life saver in the Bahamas

And if you hook it up to a router you will be able to share the connection
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    At first glance it all looks great until you look at the fine print and see the 3 to 5 gig monthly limit
    This fine print?
    The free version now has a usage limit that requires you to restart FoxFi to continue using free mode. You can purchase the full version key to unlock this.

Because for $6.97 you can unlock the limit for ever.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    This fine print?
    The free version now has a usage limit that requires you to restart FoxFi to continue using free mode. You can purchase the full version key to unlock this.

Because for $6.97 you can unlock the limit for ever.
    They just changed that in the last couple of months. I had been using it for over a year with no problems. Still haven't upgraded as we can usually just restart if we have to.

Blaine

I meant the fine print on your contract. Most have a monthly limit which you will hit quickly when multiple users share the connection especially when streaming video
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

So which Cradlepoint router would you recommend for use both in the marina (covered) and while onboard?

I have the CTR35, with a sierra /AT&T lightning 3G card

It s a much more reliable setup than the older Kyocera KR2 and Globetrotter AT&T express card i used before
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

I ve had a data plan with AT&T for 6 or 7 years now and I keep the uimited plan as long as I don't upgrade to 4G. A few months ago it was time to replace my older 3G card and ended up buying a refurb Sierra USB 3G card. At the same time I ordered a Cradlepoint router following George's advice and it works really well. Connection is always up and restarts instantly when i plug the router and card

3G is fine with me, you can stream video with almost no buffering

That said check your plans and beware that streaming uses Gigs of data

If you are at marinas or anchorages where wifi is available, it s hard to beat the Rogue from Wave. It will get you a good connection up to 1 to 2 NM. A life saver in the Bahamas

And if you hook it up to a router you will be able to share the connection

I guess you didn't read all of my post Sprint Unlimited
    And its a 4G phone in case you are wondering.

One of the few carriers left doing it.
    http://gigaom.com/mobile/the-unlimit...re-casualties/
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Why not use the iPhone for the hot spot?
    This is what I do. I did a jailbreak on my iPhone, and now use the app PdaNet to create the hotspot. No additional charge beyond it using your phones data (which may have limits, Sprint does not).
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD