Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Looking For a 46 - 50 Convertible

By the way, I'm only selling because I have a new baby on arrival in February, and not enough time to do the big boat thing.

Hate to let her sit.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Under 300K is doable for the early 3406 boats. There were a few out there and there will be again. There were a couple that sold under 300K but not much less. FYI the 48C is a great boat, it's what the 50C is based on. There were some issues with the stringer system but I think that was only the first year. They are heavy and thirsty boats with the 8V92's.
    Can you please elaborate on the issues with the stringer system of the 48C?

The stringers on the 48C were attached to the hull instead of being glassed in. Don't know the exact details on the build or repair but the stringers were coming loose. Hatt took a bunch of them back.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    The stringers on the 48C were attached to the hull instead of being glassed in. Don't know the exact details on the build or repair but the stringers were coming loose. Hatt took a bunch of them back.
    This must have been an isolated incident that Hatteras took care of. A search on google for Hatteras stringer issues revealed an article "Hull Design Defects Part 1". It was written buy a Surveyor, David Pascoe. In the article he spoke very well about the 48C stringer system and actually even goes on to say it was over-kill. Here is part of that article.

"To gain an appreciation for the significance of this, just look at the massive structural system found in high performance Hatteras or Vikings, shown below. When you're dealing with a quarter million dollars or more worth of engines and transmissions, it doesn't pay to fool around. Mistakes are just too costly. On recent survey of a high performance 48 Hatteras and I was absolutely astounded at the massive stringer system in this boat. Although I had seen it before, I didn't really appreciated how large it was. The width of the top hat bottom supports actually covered nearly 50% of the bottom panel area. "

Quote Originally Posted by searage View Post
    This must have been an isolated incident that Hatteras took care of. A search on google for Hatteras stringer issues revealed an article "Hull Design Defects Part 1". It was written buy a Surveyor, David Pascoe. In the article he spoke very well about the 48C stringer system and actually even goes on to say it was over-kill. Here is part of that article.

"To gain an appreciation for the significance of this, just look at the massive structural system found in high performance Hatteras or Vikings, shown below. When you're dealing with a quarter million dollars or more worth of engines and transmissions, it doesn't pay to fool around. Mistakes are just too costly. On recent survey of a high performance 48 Hatteras and I was absolutely astounded at the massive stringer system in this boat. Although I had seen it before, I didn't really appreciated how large it was. The width of the top hat bottom supports actually covered nearly 50% of the bottom panel area. "
    It wasn't an isolated incident. The stringers are tabbed to the hull. It's not the stringers themselves, it's how they were bonded to the hull. AFAIK the 48C was the only boat they did this on. It's also one of the reasons the 48C had such a short production run. I've heard this from good authority including a Hatteras captain who delivered one of the hulls that came loose. I wouldn't put too much weight on Pascoe's comment that you posted. That vintage Viking had serious stringer issues that are now well known. There have been a lot of transmission failures on Vikings due to the stringers rotting.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 01-14-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Twelve 48's were taken back and rebuilt. I would not be scared of any one of them.
    When the stringers were laminated to the hull, they would sandblast the area to get a good bond. A hotshot foreman decided that that was not required. The laminators knew it would not work but the boss says....

We had a bumpy ride crossing the Gulf on I think hull 2or3. The boat felt funny and had to tape all the doors shut. The boat then went to a rendezvous sponsered by the Dealer. Monday after the rendezvous, Hatt calls and says to haul the boat and lock it, they are sending a Capt to pick it up and was told that the Capt was told to run the ICW and not to exceed 10 kts.

It was a few months later when we were picking up a new 52 at the plant and we pressed Don Farlow about what happened. I asked if one actually came apart? He said" The one you guys took across the Gulf".

Wow. I wouldn't have wanted to be the guy that drove it back to the plant. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Twelve 48's were taken back and rebuilt. I would not be scared of any one of them.
    When the stringers were laminated to the hull, they would sandblast the area to get a good bond. A hotshot foreman decided that that was not required. The laminators knew it would not work but the boss says....

We had a bumpy ride crossing the Gulf on I think hull 2or3. The boat felt funny and had to tape all the doors shut. The boat then went to a rendezvous sponsered by the Dealer. Monday after the rendezvous, Hatt calls and says to haul the boat and lock it, they are sending a Capt to pick it up and was told that the Capt was told to run the ICW and not to exceed 10 kts.

It was a few months later when we were picking up a new 52 at the plant and we pressed Don Farlow about what happened. I asked if one actually came apart? He said" The one you guys took across the Gulf".
    This is good information and I am considering the purchase of a 1988. How can I tell what hull # or whether it is one of the earlier ones?

I believe it was the first few boats. The factory rebuilt them and they should be fine.

Well, we might change our search to include the Series II 45C. There seems to be a few more out there. Still not many with Cats, but we'll keep looking. I did see the one with C9s. It's an 1986. I was hoping for a 1988 or later.

Blaine