Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Looking For a 46 - 50 Convertible

These seem to be rather rare. I found a few 50Cs on YW that had C18s, which I think is a variant of the 3406E, but non advertised with 3406Es. Interestingly, several had 3408Es, you can see from the engine room photos that the access to them is not as easy as it would be with 3406s.

There's a freshwater/indoor winter kept 48c on yachtworld that is original and could use updating, but appears to be in beautiful condition.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    These seem to be rather rare. I found a few 50Cs on YW that had C18s, which I think is a variant of the 3406E, but non advertised with 3406Es. Interestingly, several had 3408Es, you can see from the engine room photos that the access to them is not as easy as it would be with 3406s.
    The 3406E were an option starting around '99 and a very popular one. The C18's are based on the 3406 block but weren't available in the 50C. If you're seeing them out there they're either repowered or the listings are wrong. There are only a few with the 3408s. Interesting to see a couple of them out there right now. A few of the early 50C III's had 8V92's. 12V71's were common then the 12V92's, MTU 12V183's and finally 3412E Cats. A very tight ER with any of the 12's. The 3412 boats can hit almost 40kts! There were some serious hull problems with the first 3412 boats. Too much power and weight for the hull. I was told the cycle loading with the added weight and speed was too much for the original hull. The later hulls are supposed to be better.
    Jack Sardina

Maybe it's just wishfull thinking, but I was trying to stay under 300K. I know I have seen them out there before at that or lower, but none right now.

Cat didn't offer the 3408 Marine engine for very long. The top rating was 800 hp, same as the 3406E, and it was about 200 lbs heavier.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    There's a freshwater/indoor winter kept 48c on yachtworld that is original and could use updating, but appears to be in beautiful condition.
    I have that one in the back of my mind. Looks like a niceboat, and not that far away. Easy trip, we just did most of it on the way to Destin back in October

I haven't heard much about the 48s, good or bad.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    Maybe it's just wishfull thinking, but I was trying to stay under 300K. I know I have seen them out there before at that or lower, but none right now.

Cat didn't offer the 3408 Marine engine for very long. The top rating was 800 hp, same as the 3406E, and it was about 200 lbs heavier.

Blaine
    Under 300K is doable for the early 3406 boats. There were a few out there and there will be again. There were a couple that sold under 300K but not much less. FYI the 48C is a great boat, it's what the 50C is based on. There were some issues with the stringer system but I think that was only the first year. They are heavy and thirsty boats with the 8V92's.
    Jack Sardina

Didn't the early 50Cs have a stability problem with higher horsepower engines? I recall being told of this at some point, but can't remember the details.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    FYI the 48C is a great boat, it's what the 50C is based on. There were some issues with the stringer system but I think that was only the first year. They are heavy and thirsty boats with the 8V92's.
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I am not in any hurry right now. As next spring and summer approach, we'll may have to make a decision on what's available.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Didn't the early 50Cs have a stability problem with higher horsepower engines? I recall being told of this at some point, but can't remember the details.
    No they are great sea boats, one of the best Hatt built. The only problem was with the 3412's. hulls were cracking but I think that was only the first few before Hatteeras fixed the problem. My understanding is it was the speed combined with the weight of the engines that was doing the damage

I don't have the listing out yet, but I am in the process of putting my 1993, 46C up for sale. I already have a broker, so that settles that.

She has the 8v92 detroits. REAL cruise numbers are 20kts at 1850 rpm burning 55-60 gph depending on the load. That is what I typically cruise at even though I've been told 1950 is fine... at 1950 she runs 22-23 knots. WOT is like 27-29 knots @ 2350 rpm.

I really baby the boat. Normally we go out for 2-4 days at a time so I do a lot of 8 knot chugging at 850 rpm.

If you're interested, let me know.

Chris
    713-392-9908