Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Looking For a 46 - 50 Convertible

It's official. Our 1975 36 convertible is in the hands of its new owner. Now it's time to get serious about the next one.

We are looking for a 1989 or newer 46 - 50'. I know the 45s are very popular, but the Admiral wants a galley that is not directly in the companionway, so that leaves the 46-50.

I would prefer Cat power, but am open to Detroits as well.

I have been browsing Yachtworld, but was wondering if there are any others out there that are not listed.

If you are familiar with any of the ones on Yachtworld, I would be interested in comments on them as well.

I did see the 50C on here that had been repowered with C18s, but thats a little above what I want to spend.

Thanks,

Blaine

Re: Looking For a 46 - 50 Convertible

Congrats and good luck with your search. The 50C series III would be my choice by far. The newer ones with 3406 Cats are the best package IMO. Good ones were selling in the low to mid 300's and up. If a 54C w/ 3412 Cats works that would be my first choice. I almost bought this one back in 8/10. She's back on the market and the current owner has taken great care maintaining and upgrading her. Tons of money spent on custom work by the previous owner. Price is great for what she is.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=39704&url=
    Last edited by saltshaker; 12-10-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Nice boat but it kooks like it has the maple interior not popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    Nice boat but it kooks like it has the maple interior not popular.
    Almost all the 54C's have the light wood interiors. Unfortunately, if you want a Hatt from the early to late '90's that's how most of them came. Not my choice either but considering everything else this boat offers, I'd be OK with it. She is much nicer than the pics show.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Congrats and good luck with your search. The 50C series III would be my choice by far. The newer ones with 3406 Cats are the best package IMO. Good ones were selling in the low to mid 300's and up. If a 54C w/ 3412 Cats works that would be my first choice. I almost bought this one back in 8/10. She's back on the market and the current owner has taken great care maintaining and upgrading her. Tons of money spent on custom work by the previous owner. Price is great for what she is.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=39704&url=
    I agree that the 50C with 3406Es would be the best option for us. There was one listed about a year ago, but we weren't ready to pull the trigger as we still had the 36. If I remember right it was on the east coast and the name was "Sea Trader" I haven't seen one on the market in a while.

I do like the looks of that 54, and that would be my second choice if we weren't using it on the Illinois River for now. We are really limited by dock availability and draft.

We'll keep looking, but would like to have one for next spring.

Blaine

If draft is an issue, all of these boats might not work for you. The 48C, 50C and 54C all draw just over 5ft. There don't seem to be too many good 50C w/3406 Cats and priced right but they do come up. The 50C is a great boat and if it's what you want, it's worth holding out for until you find the right one. FYI the first Cat powered 54C was a custom order in '92. That boat was bought new with 12V92's and the buyer had Hatteras swap out the power for the 3412's. That boat was up on the Illinois River. Hatt didn't start offering the Cats as an option until '94.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    If draft is an issue, all of these boats might not work for you. The 48C, 50C and 54C all draw just over 5ft. There don't seem to be too many good 50C w/3406 Cats and priced right but they do come up. The 50C is a great boat and if it's what you want, it's worth holding out for until you find the right one. FYI the first Cat powered 54C was a custom order in '92. That boat was bought new with 12V92's and the buyer had Hatteras swap out the power for the 3412's. That boat was up on the Illinois River. Hatt didn't start offering the Cats as an option until '94.
    I am familiar with the 54 that was up here. I was working in the Marine Division at Cat at that time. I think we could make a 50 work here, but the 54 would be a stretch.

As for the draft, the 46 would be the best option at 4'6". There is one in the Boston area, but I am a little leary of that one as the shafts and props have been replaced. Sounds like it may have run aground hard sometime in the past

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    I am familiar with the 54 that was up here. I was working in the Marine Division at Cat at that time. I think we could make a 50 work here, but the 54 would be a stretch.

As for the draft, the 46 would be the best option at 4'6". There is one in the Boston area, but I am a little leary of that one as the shafts and props have been replaced. Sounds like it may have run aground hard sometime in the past

Blaine
    Wait for the right 50C. The 46C series III was not one of Hatts better boats. Not many around and not easy to sell.
    Jack Sardina

What about the 50 that is right up the river from you in Michigan City?

Quote Originally Posted by Carver370 View Post
    What about the 50 that is right up the river from you in Michigan City?
    We looked at that one about a year ago. Very nice boat, but for that money, I would prefer to have the 3406Es.

Blaine