Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

antifreeze smell port exhaust

i have a pair of 8v71s my port motor has a smell of antifreeze while underway and when i throttle back there is some white smoke with the antifreeze odor that comes from the exhaust for about 30-40 secs and then goes away. once at idle fishing there is no more odor until i throttle up again to motor back and then the smoke again when coming off the throttles. it does not smoke anymore than the other engine while underway. losing only a trace amount of antifreeze. i have pressure tested the system after letting the engine heat up at the dock and it held steady. im wondering if i might have a pin hole in one of my exhaust manifolds and the antifreeze is getting by under pressure while on the throttles. they appear to be the original 1979 pieces. have pulled them yet to hot tank them and bench pressure test them. any thoughts thanks

Re: antifreeze smell port exhaust

AN exhaust mainifold is a strong possibility, you can remove the 2 coolant hoses and make a loop with a tee and tap in your compression tester, or shop air with a valve and gauge. If they are 8-71N, pull off the riser once you think you have a narrowed it down. if turbos it might be easier to release the mainfold from the head and the 4 bolts between the stack pipe and mainfold.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY