Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: CruisAir Component Repair

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Paint box connection on the BVP900
    That was not a connection I would ever plug in live. Being conservative and saving gear is better than fast and broken.

By the way have you played with the large format cameras much
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There are excellent compressors on the internet available for under $500 for24 k btu, new units, Copeland etc...I bought a new 24 K here in Van. for 353.00 wholesale, a new Copeland.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    Along these lines, I've had two compressors lock up this this week c
    Anyone have a good source? Need a 16k and 24k for the SMXII.
    My local dealer is quoting about $3,000 and $2,200 each plus 2 days install (another $1,500).

Reversing valves shot, blowing breakers (already spent most of a day chasing start up capacitors and other stuff).

$6,500 is a lot of boat bucks....
    I didn't spend that much on 4 separate units for each of my four staterooms, including digital controls!

I'm using Aqua Air these days. The factory's owner, DeWayne, knows these Hatts well and grew up with all the CruisAir stuff. His family eventually split off from CruisAir and started making their own stuff, i.e. Aqua Air. He can build any of the old stuff that we have. He did my old air handlers in the galley/salon that are still running off the 32-year old condensing unit with new ones that are identical to the old ones. Anyway, I like the construction of the equipment from what I've seen. Even MarioG was impressed at how thick the cuppernickel was on the tubing. Did I spell that right?

For whatever reason the split systems are very expensive across the board. I had a 16K system quoted to me for the pilothouse. Split was $3,060 (condensing unit was $1921; air handler was $899; digital controls about $240); self-contained was $1,554. Both included digital controls. I don't get it other than there must be a LOT of competition in the self-contained units. I have to wonder why I can get the whole thing, all-inclusive, for $1,554 when the condensing unit, alone, if going split, is $1921. I've gone self-contained in the staterooms on the lower level. I'll be doing some re-thinking on "space" to try to fit a 16K self-contained unit the pilothouse.

This what I mean - at $1,500, or less if you don't need the digital control, for a 16K unit, AC is disposable.
    Last edited by Angela; 12-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I agree with the price difference in split vs. self contained not making any sense.
    With plenty of room under the flybridge, a self contained would make a lot of sense, although I'm not sure how I'd get water up that high....

I see differences in the quality of the SC units. We sell the webastos and they coat 1/3 less than a similar cruisair. there is a difference and I can tell its not small.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    With plenty of room under the flybridge, a self contained would make a lot of sense, although I'm not sure how I'd get water up that high....
    It's no problem even with the "middle of the road" March pump. Mario tells me they plumbed a FB AC unit with water feeding from the bilge and there was a TON of water shooting up, like "Old Faithful" from the 500 gph March pump - that's a long way, but like all the other Cuban engineering I've seen, IT WORKS! Never underestimate that Cuban engineering. American factories are eager to tell you "that won't work" (probably because they want to sell you something bigger that you really don't need), but more times than not, I've found that Cuban engineering to be spot on, so I tend to trust it, even if unconventional by US factories' standards. I'm using that same "modest" pump to feed my highest AC unit - in the "ceiling area" of what would be on the common 53MY or 58YF - the galley "ceiling".
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

We out a 16K in the bridge of a 49 gulfstar ( viking) and used the AC 5 series.
    the head ( lift ) was a bit much for the smaller version and we were concerned it would be stressed and fail prematurely.

3 years no problems.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Scott, from your experience, are the Cruiseaires the most reliable AC units? I am thinking ahead to when I have to replace two of them and mulling over what I am going to do......

install has a lot to do with reliability. use too but I see them as good or better than the norm and they are servicable
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Angela,

The following statement you said MarioG made leaves me very confused, can you explain what Mario was reffering to. "Even MarioG was impressed at how thick the cuppernickel was on the tubing. Did I spell that right"?