Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CruisAir Component Repair

As a function of bad power, blew a circuit board on CruisAir unit. Dometic was VERY proud of a new replacement unit. Local man that repairs circuit boards was able to repair for $75.00 All In. Another arrow in the Hatteras quiver. Brett

Electro Joe 813-765-1505
    Attached Images

Re: CruisAir Component Repair

Nice. I always enjoy giving CruisAir the finger.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Agree. I lost a blower on an air handler. Don't recall the Cruise Air price, but a local motor repair shop is getting me a new one for a bit over $200. He also rebuilt the bronze/SS water pump for $102. Mike Moore Pump and Motor in Stuart, FL.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    As a function of bad power, blew a circuit board on CruisAir unit. Dometic was VERY proud of a new replacement unit. Local man that repairs circuit boards was able to repair for $75.00 All In. Another arrow in the Hatteras quiver. Brett

Electro Joe 813-765-1505
    Glad to hear you got the problem resolved reasonably.

I have repaired quite a few AC control units for boaters in the marina, and for friends.

I currently am repairing several boards just for something to do when I am not busy. I have considered taking this on more seriously. I intend to approach this situation with a credit less repair format. You order the board, it is sent out immediately, you return a repairable defective board, and are charged only the cost of repair, with a maximum repair charge agreed upon beforehand. Comments appreciated. I would appreciate anyone having a copy of the schematics to send me a copy. Anyone sending in a unit for repair that I do not have a copy of the schematics for, will receive a discount if the send a copy with the repairable unit.

I have always been under the impression that bad mouthing vendors on the forum was a no no. Did I miss something?
    Whine about CruiseAir all you want, but from my view as a service engineer, they put out as good a product as one can find.

The industry all around has taken the attitude that repair is a thing of the past, the new name of the game is replace.
    Last edited by Boatnut; 12-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Totally agree re replacement/repair nowadays. I'm having a lot of fun restoring 60+ year old tube radios/other tube equipment. Strangely enough, virtually anything you need to do that is fairly easy to find...compared with trying to repair a 3 year old item!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Boatnut; Didn't intend to bad mouth vendor, just trying to make the addiction a little bit more affordable.... Brett

Brett, PM sent to you.

A good AC tech described cruiseair as an aggregator(sp?) and not a manufacturer. I guess that is really what Apple is also, but does anyone know if cruiseair actually designs any of the components ?
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Back in the days of Jerry Kruse and Marine Development Corporation (original Cruisair), I believe everything was designed in house. (lots of all blue compressors out there still running!) Since the buy out, first by Taylor Environmental, and then Taylor's purchase by Dometic, then the merging with the MarineAir business, who knows.

Like most global businesses these days, they are a consolidated set of once independent businesses. Similar story with the StatPower/Heart/Xantrex/Schnieider companies.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Great thread! Over the years I've bit the bullet a few times and replaced the boards. Typically because time or not having the proper schematic. Those boards are pricey and most of the time can be repaired. Years ago there was a Sony broadcast cam that would blow a board when a particular cable was plugged in while the unit was on. The repair was about $3600 for the new board. After a few repairs we figured out what was going on with the boards and started repairing instead of replacing. Repair took about 1-1.5 hrs and about $5 in parts.
    Jack Sardina