Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuel Burn Detroit 6V92 535 H.P.

Does anyone know where I could locate a fuel burn chart for my 535H.P. 6V92 DD's. I just want to make a comparison with my findings on my Logs? If not maybe someone would have comparisons from there boat they could pass along. On our 1990 45 Conv. I'm finding Approx. 35 to 40 GPH at a 2000 RPM 22 Knt. cruise depending on load. Where I'm not sure is my Idle to 1000 rpm trolling speeds because we never run anywhere strickly at that speed to be able to refuel and get an accurate burn rate. Usually we run, troll, run. Never troll, troll, troll. Anyway any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Re: Fuel Burn Detroit 6V92 535 H.P.

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Does anyone know where I could locate a fuel burn chart for my 535H.P. 6V92 DD's. I just want to make a comparison with my findings on my Logs? If not maybe someone would have comparisons from there boat they could pass along. On our 1990 45 Conv. I'm finding Approx. 35 to 40 GPH at a 2000 RPM 22 Knt. cruise depending on load. Where I'm not sure is my Idle to 1000 rpm trolling speeds because we never run anywhere strickly at that speed to be able to refuel and get an accurate burn rate. Usually we run, troll, run. Never troll, troll, troll. Anyway any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
    That is a dam fast 45 mine was a 1986 with the same engines and u had to go down hill (with the tide) and maybee a tail wind and low fuel to see 20 knots at 2000 that speed was about tops at 22 knots.
    You are pretty closs on the fuel burn i need to go the boat to get the exact. I never really checked the fuel burn at idle it was sutch a small amount a drip. I did fish the boat and idle was a factor. I can with some acury tell you add two more cylenders( 892 tis720 hp ) and the fuel burn at 2000 is approximately 52 gal per for a 52c... Tim

Tim, your 8v92 are 50gph at 2000 rpm? I dont travel at that high RPM all that much but i was under the impression that fuel burn is 50gph around 1850rpm. Do you have a fuel flow gauge? I also have a 52c with 8v92

Quote Originally Posted by arielmiller View Post
    Tim, your 8v92 are 50gph at 2000 rpm? I dont travel at that high RPM all that much but i was under the impression that fuel burn is 50gph around 1850rpm. Do you have a fuel flow gauge? I also have a 52c with 8v92
    No fuel flow gages that was on the trip fron Florida in the ocean. We ran all the way from Palm Beach to Morehead City NC outside we tried to maintain about 2000 which put us at app 22 to 23 knots dependimg on fuel load. We had good weather all the way.
    We made it in three days. As best as we could figure it was about 50 gal per hour. We did not run it dry. So it was estimates and the bottom was painted just befor we left Palm Beach....
    Tim

i see. at 1850 what do you estimate the boat to do? 48gph? just for comparison what how many knots are you getting at WOT?

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post

Where I'm not sure is my Idle to 1000 rpm trolling speeds because we never run anywhere strickly at that speed to be able to refuel and get an accurate burn rate. Usually we run, troll, run. Never troll, troll, troll. Anyway any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
    6V92 425 HP on a 1981 48MY. At 1000 rpm I make about 8 knots and burn about 6.5-7 GPH based on fill-ups.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    That is a dam fast 45 mine was a 1986 with the same engines and u had to go down hill (with the tide) and maybee a tail wind and low fuel to see 20 knots at 2000 that speed was about tops at 22 knots.
    You are pretty closs on the fuel burn i need to go the boat to get the exact. I never really checked the fuel burn at idle it was sutch a small amount a drip. I did fish the boat and idle was a factor. I can with some acury tell you add two more cylenders( 892 tis720 hp ) and the fuel burn at 2000 is approximately 52 gal per for a 52c... Tim
    Yes I know it runs very well for a DD powered 45C it will do 26.5 at 2300. Mostly we run 1900 and do 20Knts and are pretty happy as it seems to be a nice comfortable speed in all conditions but if in a huury will bump it up to 2000 and get our 22knts. We have talked about a repower with Cums.QSM 11's if these engines ever die because we love the boat its just hard to justify the cost, and honestly would probably run it at 20knts anyway. At that speed you can talk and move around, eat, drink, etc. without having to hold on.