Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Old Glomax antenna and digital TV

Hi Folks, I thought I remembered seeing a thread or two on this but can't seem to find them. Do you need a real digital "air antenna" or would the original Glomax (analog I'm assuming) Hatt installed work? Some "knowledgeable??" guys tell me there is no difference.

The Glomax is in a good place on the bridge and it would save me some difficult cable runs.....

Why don't I just try it?? I can't figure out the current wiring and all the threaded connectors come together in a tiny space above the guest stateroom. I can get my head or an arm and shoulder...but not both in there.

If the answer is "no way" it's just easier to make new run with the right antenna. Thanks.

Re: Old Glomax antenna and digital TV

I forget the brand, but when I looked into upgrading to a "digital" antennae a few years ago the manufacturer of my original 1977 rotating antennae told me the unit was made for UHF analog and would work fine when broadcast stations got up to full digital power which is in the UHF range. It does great. I get 6 to 20 channels depending on my location. Reception is either HD or zero. I would give your old unit a try first.

I upgraded to the digital antenna and didn't notice a bit of difference. Save your money and use whart you have. Ron

I've got a Shakespeare SeaWatch antennae with the amplifier. I didn't change it out when things went digital (just got a new TV) and it works just fine.

Digital or HD Antennas

There really is no such thing as a digital or high definition antenna. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) says that anyone owning an antenna that is capable of receiving analog signals should be able to use that same antenna to receive digital signals.

As a result, I suggest that you try using your old antenna before buying a new antenna marketed toward HD reception. If your current antenna doesn’t work then you might need one with amplification, which helps the antenna pick up a better signal.

[/I]

The above was extracted from the internet. The sale of so-called "digital antennas" is simply a marketing tool. There is no difference between digital and analog antennas for the capture of over-the air VHF-UHF signals. If you're close enough to the broadcaster, your old rabbit ears will do the trick so long as your cable from the antenna o the TV is good.

I thought the Fed gave special pricing deals because of the switch to digital, all those boxes ?? another boondogle ??

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    I thought the Fed gave special pricing deals because of the switch to digital, all those boxes ?? another boondogle ??
    The transmission format changed making the analog tuners obsolete. New digital tuners are what they sponsored you to buy.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

8. Re: Old Glomax antenna and digital TV

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll give it a try this weekend.

9. Re: Old Glomax antenna and digital TV

Well I was up at the boat last night trying to figure out the coax wiring......I started at the Glomax antenna in the prow....chased it down into the engine room (on a little sidebar here.....Hatteras built a hell of boat back in 1989, the glass work is just massive in some spaces that I'd never visited before...under the ice maker is 1" thick glassed over marine ply...and this is on top of the deck. Of course this is what makes it a 16 knot boat....) and low and behold it goes into a little transformer (signal booster no doubt) on the bulk head in front of the Stb main.

I've been storing my strainer wingnut tool on this little box for years not knowing what it was. Anyway the connections are quite corroded and the terminals need cleaned up, coax needs cut back and re-connected. Judging from the little "zip" I got last night it's probably powered by 120 vlt AC.

I've got the blueprints with me in the truck and will go through them tonight....I know there is no breaker marked for this and hopefully I can find the proper schematic. BUT....would anyone have prior experience on what breaker powers that? Boat is 1989, 48 CNV. Thanks much!!

10. Re: Old Glomax antenna and digital TV

Well here's where I ended up. That little transformer is wired into the 120 vlt AC circuit to the ice maker on the stb side. A check with a VM seemed to indicate it was powered but not outputting correctly.

I disconnected the butt end of the Glomax antenna coax, pulled it back up into the house and into the space above the Guest stateroom. Added a signal booster "wall wart" transformer and connected the coax directly to the feed for the TV in the owners stateroom.....Booya!!! 55 digital air channels. Not the best selections, but we got the games we wanted. Plus that old Glomax isn't just ballast anymore.....Thx.