Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need a new swim platform

Got the estimate from the insurance adjuster today. (lot more than i thought) My swim platform was pretty much destroyed in the hurricane. The adjuster has allowed $2500.00 for a new platform and brackets. This didnt seem like enough.
    I went on line and one of the companys I found quoted me $6225.00 for a 156" platform, with 5 brackets and a 335.00 boarding ladder. this also included crating and shipping.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to a more reasonable company or is this a normal price and should i fight the insurance company.
    Thank god a lot of the other parts i need (portlights, rub rails etc) are available from Sams

thanks as always for the help

Art
    Trouble
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Re: Need a new swim platform

Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    Got the estimate from the insurance adjuster today. (lot more than i thought) My swim platform was pretty much destroyed in the hurricane. The adjuster has allowed $2500.00 for a new platform and brackets. This didnt seem like enough.
    I went on line and one of the companys I found quoted me $6225.00 for a 156" platform, with 5 brackets and a 335.00 boarding ladder. this also included crating and shipping.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to a more reasonable company or is this a normal price and should i fight the insurance company.
    Thank god a lot of the other parts i need (portlights, rub rails etc) are available from Sams

Art
    Trouble

$2500 he is a Idiot call him and ask him where to buy it from since he seems to know
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Take a look here: http://www.butlermarine.com/ A new fiberglass platform with teak inserts is one of the (many) things on my wish list.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Art,

The adjuster's position does not sound very reasonable based upon what you have found.

I would notify the adjuster, preferably in a documented manner, such as email of what the best price you can find for a replacement platform and request that he let you know where you can purchase and have installed a comparable replacement platform for the amount he proposes.

Does his price reflect depreciation? Not sure how a platform depreciates or that a new one would add value to the boat vs the old one.

Might be worth reading your insurance policy.

Good Luck
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Don't be in a big hurry to settle. I spent almost 2 years fighting with the Ins. Co when my house was destroyed in '04. The adjuster's job is to beat you up and get you to settle to the advantage of the Ins co. Dont sign or agree to anything until you have time to calm down and make sure you not getting screwed. Go get your own quotes from 3 top yards INSTALLED. Also you should be compensated also for a Captain and associated costs and expences to deliver the boat to a "suitable" yard. I would argue that its a "Hatteras" and the work should be preformed at a yard that specilizes in Hatts which are a top of the line and unique boat. If you had a Rolls Royce you wouldnt take it to the Hundyia dealer for repairs would you?
    Also there may be other things that are unseen that you may find under closer inspection. Having been thru several hurricanes on the boat Ive found salt water gets into everything. I ductape the fuel vents on the side of the boat closed because I've seen cases where the salt spray works up the vents and contaminates the tanks. This is not uncommon and they should pay for the fuel to be polished before the engines are started and any injector repair if nessasary.
    Keep looking around you will find related damage for a long time to come.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

How badly was it "destroyed"? I assume this was a fiberglass or was it teak? I ask because the swim platform on my 44TC was messed up pretty badly by the PO before I took possession. A good woodworker was actually able to repair it and I don't think anyone could tell if they hadn't seen the damage.

But I do agree with the other comments - they are terribly expensive. Cinderella has a new teak platform on her wish list, hoping for next summer.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53MY

Art
    Trouble
    $2500 doesn't buy much on a boat. I doubt you could buy a decent platform for that let alone the mounting hardware and installation. Call Slane Marine. Tom makes custom platforms for Hatts and should be able to replace what you had.
    Jack Sardina

Art, is that factoring in your deductible?

Bobk

The allowance has nothing to do with my deductable. The adjuster told me to contact Butler Marine. They quoted me $2300.00 including shipping and crating and brackets. 1 1/2 thick. 138" . I just wonder how one company can be half as much. The swim platform is a popular place on my boat. I dont want to sacrifice quality here. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

thanks again
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

The allowance has nothing to do with my deductable. The adjuster told me to contact Butler Marine. They quoted me $2300.00 including shipping and crating and brackets. 1 1/2 thick. 138" . I just wonder how one company can be half as much. The swim platform is a popular place on my boat. I dont want to sacrifice quality here. Does anyone have any experience with their products?

thanks again
    Art
    Is it like the one you had? If you had a $6k glass and teak platform will you replace it with starboard?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.