Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mystery vibration

After much investigation, I have found that my starboard side vibration isn't a loose or broken wall tab, but a cutless bearing. I am planning to haul the boat this week and start the work on Friday. Has anyone tried to change the bearing themselves, or is it a job for the boat yard?

Thanks,

Allen
    Last edited by Fat Boy; 04-03-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: update

Re: Cutless bearing removal

Allen,

Most yards have a simple clam shell shaped bearing puller that wraps around the shaft and will slide inside the strut. Using the tool enables removing the bearing with out having to remove the shaft. You can do the same if you are willing to make a similar tool by slicing a piece of pipe in half along its axis. Once having done that you weld a tab on the out side of the pipe to serve as a location to strike a mallet in order to remove the bearing. Don't forget to remove the set screws on the side of the strut that retain the bearing. Bottom line let the yard do it.

You can make one or you can buy a Strutpro. www.Strutpro.com. I bought one get a buddy to in with you , makes changing out cutless bearings a breeze!!!! Invest in a cheap electric impact gun, makes life easier.
    Hope this helps.
    JW

If you have 2 struts you may want to pull the shaft. You can remove the bearings and split them for removal but you will have to drive the forward bearing thruogh the main strut to get it to the intermediate strut. I just installed bearings in my 45C and when you consider that you most likely will not have to install them again the tool is not a good investment unless you make it yourself. Good Luck

I thought it was not wise to be banging on your running gear. This tool would eliminate that completely.

What was the cost for the tool?

If you remove the shaft you can saw the bearing in half and just push it out. 2 flat plates with holes and a 1 inch threaded rod with 2 nuts,2 washers will push it back in..Chill the bearing and lub it. If it was that tight of fit you would not need set screws. Just make sure your inline.I've put many bearings in this way. Thats all the super tool does and its a lot cheaper. Bill

7. Re: Cutless bearing removal

That may be true but pulling shaft couplings is often a lot of "fun."

AHA! Last year a guy (diver) in our marina replaced his cutlass bearings in the water. I saw the puller/installer he used and assumed it was homemade but seeing the Strut pro on the website, I realize THAT was the tool he used.

Obviously works pretty well because once he had the props off, I swear he had the bearings out/replaced, the props back on and the boat moving out of his slip in not more than maybe 2 hours if that. And it was all done underwater - pretty impressive. I didn't notice what was going on until he came out of the water with the second prop so I don't know how long it took him to pull the props. But the Strut-pro seems like a pretty good tool for cutlass bearings.

Re: source of vibration???

Last season, sometime, I developed a vibration in the area of the starboard side liner area, under the gunnel. The best that I can remember, the vibration began, one morning while heading out to sea and it seems like we hit a wave hard and the vibration started, almost like something had broken loose in the liner, between the cockpit floor and the gunnel. Anyway, last Sept. I had the boat hauled and replaced the starboard side cutless bearings. I also pulled the wheels and had them checked, and several minor issues, but not enough to repair, according to Palmetto Props. We checked engine alignment, after the cutless bearing replacement and tightened motor mounts. Today, I ran the boat for several hours, and found that the vibration is STILL there. I know that this is a broad area; however, does anyone have any recommendations? This vibration will drive me crazy, and I hate the idea of going to the boat yard and telling them to find/fix the vibration.

Thanks,

Allen

Did you check the alignment of the shaft in the shaft log? Perhaps it's making slight contact while running.

If the alignment is close, but not perfect, is the torque of being in gear throwing it out enough to cause vibration?

It might be worth observing the shaft while the driveline is under stress.

One last thought, perhaps some tabbing broke free or cracked when you hit the wave, either at the sole, or a bulkhead. Does the boat "feel" different, or "sound" different? Perhaps something broke free that is now vibrating.

Good luck finding this one, and report back!

-Ed G.