Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuel Consumption

I have read the various threads regarding fuel consumption on a 53 MY with 8V71TI engines. A mile per gallon or a little less, at 9 to 10 KT. My question has to do with the turbos. Do the engines have to run at 1300 RPM because of the turbos, or can they run slower? I noticed that the Hatteras chart shows mileage up to 2 mpg at slower speeds, but was that with the non turbo engines that could run at lower RPMS? Also, if the turbo engines have to run at higher RPMS, why is this?

Re: Fuel Consumption

What are your cruising plans. The Detroit 8v71n boats can't plane. The TI boats sometimes can but still they're underpowered. The newer ones with the 92 series seem to be better sellers because they have the ability to plane.

If your looking for a trawler get a trawler. If your looking to use a 53 like a trawler your not going to be as happy.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    What are your cruising plans. The Detroit 8v71n boats can't plane. The TI boats sometimes can but still they're underpowered. The newer ones with the 92 series seem to be better sellers because they have the ability to plane.

If your looking for a trawler get a trawler. If your looking to use a 53 like a trawler your not going to be as happy.
    Most of my cruising will be on a river and many times I won't need 10 kts. The rest is on the ocean. I was curious if there is a problem with running the TI engines that slow, or is it a problem with handling?

You only need to run the engines fast enough to get them to full operating temp. If you’re going to run slow most of the time you can change out the thermostats with some higher temp units to achieve this. After extended time at low rpm, make sure you run them up for at least 15 minutes to blow all of the built up oil out of the coolers.

You can cruise a TI at hull speed as long as they are running at operating temp (they will) and you run them up after a few hours. Fuel burn at 9kts will be about 9 to 10gph. At 10kts it will be 15 gph or so. Yesp... 10% more speed but 50% more fuel...

The 53, and most MYs, run very well at hull speed. Smooth ride, comfortable, quiet. Even with the turbos they just get on plane and need to be run at a pretty high power setting to stay there.

There are many reasons to get a 53 instead of a trawler.. Hatteras quality, better layout, space both inside and outside.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the info.

And there are reasons to buy a trawler.

Hull design and stability.
    Fuel capacity of making long voyages.
    Systems designed for longer voyages.
    Many have newer engine technologies too.

I know its hericy but there was a few other manufacturers of vessels that equaled hatteras quality.

Also the 53 is narrow and an older design. Many have two berths in the master not a queen or king. Stabilizers are a must if you plan any blue water crossings.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

As far as stabilizers go they would be a nice luxury but not madatory. We have run our 53 from San Francisco to San Diego almost 500 miles and many trips up and down the coast of over 100 miles without stabilizers if you keep the waves off of dead abeam it is tolerable.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.