Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Oil Stain on Teak Deck

Without going into all the gruesome details, the helper kid carefully put the broken high pressure water maker pump upside down on the unfinished teak deck, with the cap off. So - who has good ideas to remove what's left the one quart of dirty oil that is now firmly in the grain of 10% of the aft deck?

I have tried several degreasers (Spray Nine, H-7, K2R, brake parts cleaner, butter), and my 5 bar steam cleaner. Next thought is 2 part Snappy teak-Nu, which I used a couple of years ago, but not on heavy stains. I've been told that sanding can just heat the oil and not really help. Gray bilge paint kind of takes away from the cocktail hour ambience.

Re: Oil Stain on Teak Deck

If better didn't work its toast.

🤣

But seriously did you try mineral spirits?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    If better didn't work its toast.

But seriously did you try mineral spirits?
    Butter dammint.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

The two part teak cleaner will be your best bet.....you may have to go over it a couple of times in the soiled area. I use Cabot Australian Timber oil on my teak and the two step cleaner takes it off when I need to freshen it up. I spoke with their tech staff years ago when I started using it and its oil based. They said the two step cleaner would take it off and they were correct!
    Good luck with it!

Oil the rest of it so it all matches.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Scott, I may be toast, but at least it'd be FDA approved so I can eat it right off the deck (see Awlgrip thread!)
    Not a ghost of a chance with mineral spirits -

Guess I'll dance the 2 step before sanding.

The 2 step may work. 1 part pulls the oil. The other is a wood bleach.

Or Stanley steamer maybe?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I've had luck using a very concentrated solution of Dawn detergent with a scrub brush to get new motor oil out of my teak deck. My teak is treated with Semco sealer so maybe that is why. It will also fade with time as well.

Battery acid drips were a tough one, especially because they sat over night. I neutralized them in the morning and they faded after a few weeks and are not even noticeable 6 weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    The two part teak cleaner will be your best bet.....you may have to go over it a couple of times in the soiled area. I use Cabot Australian Timber oil on my teak and the two step cleaner takes it off when I need to freshen it up. I spoke with their tech staff years ago when I started using it and its oil based. They said the two step cleaner would take it off and they were correct!
    Good luck with it!
    X2 or just time
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California