Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Onan MDJE 7.5 Kw owners!!!

How do you guys tone that generator down a little bit. Its LOUD as hell. Soundshield?? Anybody knows if there is an air box that goes in the air intake? That's why its so loud. Pics would be great. Thanks

Re: Onan MDJE 7.5 Kw owners!!!

Sounds like you got a diesel that's running just right, a real good healthy knock.!!! sound shield is the best cure.

Mine is quieter since I replaced it with a new generator. Beta Marine 3 cyl Kubota with a 9kw marathon gen end and 2 mufflers, no sound shield. Much quieter than the old Onan.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Squeezed it into a sound shield. Big difference and a pita to work on
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Awhile back there was someone on eBay who had a number of NOS shound shields for around $800 each.

There is a baffle for the air intake intake in the shield. I am in the process of replacing the fiberglass batting with a more modern 2 part foam/MLV barrier. I hope it works because otherwise it sounds like a guy with a ball peen hammer hitting an anvil 1800 times a minute.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Are you sure you don't have a bad injector or some other mechanical problem? What you're describing does not sound normal.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I have a 1986 MDKD with a sound shield and Vernalift muffler. I replaced the plastic intake with a Donaldson cartridge air filter. It is still too loud for me inside. Not bad outside.

I don't quite understand why since the new generators seem to use the same 3 cylinder Kubota (D series, I think) that I have.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Are you sure you don't have a bad injector or some other mechanical problem? What you're describing does not sound normal.
    Well, I can't say for sure as I don't know what the symptoms are for a bad injector. Whay I can tell you is that it starts immediately, runs well and doesn't smoke. I did check the valve lash and they are spot on. The bulk of the noise does seem to be coming from the intake. As a caveat to my bitching I should tell you that I haven't yet run it with the enclosure in place.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Quote Originally Posted by gbharrington View Post
    Whay I can tell you is that it starts immediately, runs well and doesn't smoke. The bulk of the noise does seem to be coming from the intake.
    That's very true.

Quote Originally Posted by gbharrington View Post
    Awhile back there was someone on eBay who had a number of NOS shound shields for around $800 each.

There is a baffle for the air intake intake in the shield. I am in the process of replacing the fiberglass batting with a more modern 2 part foam/MLV barrier. I hope it works because otherwise it sounds like a guy with a ball peen hammer hitting an anvil 1800 times a minute.
    My 6kw MDJB which is the same with smaller injectors Isnt quiet by today std's but not that bad. $800 for the sound shields Damn I threw mine in the trash over 30 years ago when I changed the first starter. Major PITA to work around the sound shields. I concider the genny white noise and only worry when it goes silent.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present