Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help and thoughts

Broke a shaft and lost a prop in about 5 to 6 foot of muddy watter how do i retrive it. Diver first thought any other idears must cover about 50 to 60 yards and the watter is muddy and the bottom is soft and the prop is new. Will a medal detector work if so what kind and where do i find one..
    SOME THOUGHTS YOU GUYS AM I PLUCKED TIM

Re: help and thoughts

Could you drag for it?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

what do you drag?? can not stand up due to mud

Grappling hook
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

How about a clam rake. If you locate it, or something, dive in and see what you have.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

1 or 2 divers setting up a grid. Unless it's a very small defined area it will be almost impossible to retrieve. Witnessed a diver find 1 this summer, shaft broke switching gears in the middle of a pretty large fairway backing into a slip. Took 1 diver probably 2 hours, muddy bottom and no visability. Good luck.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Sorry to hear that Tim. I'd call Randy Davis at R&R 252-223-0855. He has a few divers that work with him. I know he's retrieved stuff from the muck before. I'd do it right away before the silt starts to settle over it. How did you snap the shaft? Were they replaced before?
    Jack Sardina

Unless you get it pretty quick that bad boy is headed for China.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

A long time ago, While working at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, we dropped a valve into the cooper river. It was very silty, maybe 6-8 ft of soft muck. We found it with a long metal pole. We knew about right where it was, because it went straight down. Maybe yours did too. We prodded around til we felt a hard metal clang. We then had the diver go down with a rope tied around his chest. It was only in about 30ft of water and 8ft of soft mud. The diver had to dig himself through the mud, using the pole as a guide where the valve was located. He then found it and placed it on his lap holding on tight. He then gave a couple yanks on the rope and we pulled him up through the mud and water. Then we washed him off with a fire hose and grabbed the valve. It was a small valve, but a real expensive submarine quality valve so we had to get it back. The diver that went down through all that mud should have been given an award, but it was just all in a days work at the shipyard.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Sorry to hear that Tim. I'd call Randy Davis at R&R 252-223-0855. He has a few divers that work with him. I know he's retrieved stuff from the muck before. I'd do it right away before the silt starts to settle over it. How did you snap the shaft? Were they replaced before?
    Being closs to the Marine Base I contacted a friend of a friend who works at the air station he has a little rank. Anyway we got a underwatter medal detactor took about 1 hour in poring down rain from the storm we have lockated it and tied a float on it. It took two men to put it on so it is kinda heavy. We are going to bring it up monday hoping we do not have to put up with poring rain.

Right now I am kinda happy.

As far as i know Jack the shaft are original it broke just as the taper started. Aperently it had at some time been straighten and made weak hit nothing and showed no problem when we pulled it .
    JUST BOATING !!!! YOU KNOW