Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Progress on project boat

here's a few more
    Attached Images

Can you guess which HOF member drew the 'artwork' on my warning sign about the wet varnish?

The back story there was that we were also varnishing the teak handrails, and people kept coming up on the dock to chat. There were several instances of folks putting hands into the wet varnish. Therefore I put up the sign.
    Attached Images

Looks great!

Hi All,

Cheryl,

Could you provide some insight as to how you preped the teak for varnishing and if you brushed it, rolled and tipped it or something else.

Looks marrrrrrvelous !!
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Gene,

Thanks- here's the general process that we used. Keep in mind that the wood on this boat was unmolested and had very little of the original teak oil finish left, if any.

-rub with acetone to remove any dirt, oils, gumminess
    -sand lightly with 220
    -vacuum with shop vac; rub with tack cloth
    -stain 1 coat (2 if needed) with minwax red oak (I used gunstock on new work to get a better match)
    -apply 2 coats Interlux Interprime wood sealer (1026) - roll and tip
    -apply 3+ coats Pettit Captain's varnish (1015) - roll and tip. I may sand only between the 2nd and 3rd coat of varnish, with 220.

Notes:

I find the foam brush perfectly acceptable and can be re-used the next day if stored in a zip-lock bag in the refrigerator.

I try to have as much of a dust 'free' environment as possible- tacking the pan, varnish cup, and I strain ALL products with a paint strainer even if it's a new can.

It's nice to have 2 people for larger areas but I often work by myself with no problem. Proper lighting is key to enable you to see where you're covering and avoid drips and holidays.

Great work and wonderful to see one of these brought back to prime. One word of caution on the radar placement, if somebody is standing on the galley cabin roof in front ot the windshields while the radar is operating, their eyes can be damaged by the microwaves emitted by the radar. Gott'a stay away from operating radar beam.

Hi All,

Cheryl,

Any chance you'd like to visit Mass and keep your varnishing skills honed ? LOL
    Last edited by lumina; 11-04-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Very nice results Cheryl, I have been on the fence about doing the same to my boat for a while... I think you just sold me on it! Thanks

Geo

No doubt seeing these pics reminds me of my 58, at least the before shots. Now, instead of closing my eyes and imagining what mine could look like, I can just come on here and look at yours. Very nicely done.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks for all the kind words! I didn't know that about the radar but the manual did indicate that there could be ill effects from being close to the scanner. I don't run it unless I'm in bad weather in which the crew would be inside. But that's helpful to know.

The refinishing work is worth it if you like that kind of work and have the patience for it. It has been a 3-year process so far. The outside work you have to deal with weather windows. The inside work I try to do some every winter. It is rewarding to refurbish something old and make it look nice.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY