Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Progress on project boat

Cheryl

Your gloss interior wood looks really great, I (and Loretta) wish our wood looked like that!!!! BUT, at the same time, the pics convinced me that I don't have 1/4 of the patience required to actually do it. If you get bored though, just amble on down to G-29 with your varnish and brushes! I'll pay you when I get there in April.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike,

We need to consider a barter arrangement, I could really use your technical knowledge on some things around here that need troubleshooting!

Cheryl

Thanks - most of whatever expertise I may have was gained using the "Oops, THAT didn't work!" process of elimination! It's an effective method though somewhat time consuming and expensive when just starting out! Fortunately, for me the "starting out" phase was quite a long time ago.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Based on this thread, I picked a small area in the forward stateroom and figured I would give it a try. I pulled the drawers out and brought them home to work on. In the daylight, they looked so bad, I figured I would need to make new ones. The wood was gouged and scratched all over, some 1/4 inch deep! The finish was hit or miss.

Since I had nothing to loose, I mixed varnish and the red mohagany stain, than thinned it.

I was amazed. Nothing could take the gauges away, but the stain evened the color out. After a thick coat of semi gloss varnish, they were transformed. The grained really stood out.

I think the stain first is a critical step.

Thanks for all the posting.

Tom
    Mahalo 1980 c 50

Finally got the flooring installed in the galley. I hired out for this and SO glad I did. They did the job in 1 day. Only thing I would have liked to have had wood trim around the thresholds and hatches in galley instead of the gold-tone. I asked if they even had a brown to make for less contrast and was told the only other option was silver. I am sure if I dug around online I could find something, but for now I decided not to push the issue. It's MUCH nicer than what I had, and the feel underfoot feels a lot more substantial than the vinyl.

The other thing is I am super glad I did all 3 heads at the same time. It is just so much nicer than the vinyl I had in there previously.

Now if I can only get my canvas guys to finish the cushions in my galley and stateroom... there's always something to do.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY
    Attached Images

Hi All,

Cheryl,

Could you share the specs on the product ie manufacturer, hard wood or laminate, board sizes, if laminate how thick of a surface coating.....etc

Looks marrrrrrvelous !!!!
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Sure-

I asked the flooring folks for something that neither my dog nor my clumsiness could harm and that would hold up on the boat. She recommended two products. I can't remember the other one. Here's the one I picked out:

Stainmaster luxury flooring. It looks about 1/4 inch thick. There aren't many specs on the box other than 5" x 48" pieces, species/color I used is Brazilian Cherry/Saffron.

I had first wanted to do a more 'shippy' either teak parquet or teak and holly. But I thought maybe the hardwoods wouldn't hold up as well. Also I thought the teak and holly may be too "busy" of a look.

Hope that helps.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

UNBELIEVABLE !!! Bringing a boat back to life like this is GREAT. Better than a new one. My hats off to you sir....
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC