Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Teach me how to tighten rudder stuffing box

I finally found the reason the starboard engine room bilge pump is cycling. Now I need to learn how to tighten the rudder box. Needless to say it is very hard to reach.DSCN1630.JPGDSCN1636.JPGDSCN1637.JPG Thanks for your help.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Teach me how to tighten rudder stuffing box

One more pic:
    Attached Images
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Hi David, same boat so i assume same packing gland. The nut is 4 1/8 inches and it is impossible to find a wrench that size so I had a machine shop make one out of 1/2 inch cor-ten steel.

from the looks of them i suspect that the packing flax needs to be replaced. Mine was so calcified i could not get it out without dropping the rudders and it came out as one big hardened piece.

you could probably torque them down using a chain wrench and stop the flow temporarily or I know some guys with better access the you and i use big stilson wrenches. i don't like busting up my soft bronze with big wrench teeth so thats why i went with making my own, right-sized open-end wrench. if this has been the PO's philosophy too then the hardened flax may be wearing into the soft shaft material of your rudder posts which, if it goes on too long could affect their strength and/or best case, make sealing it difficult.

My philosophy is "do it right and do it once" and so I changed the packing material and the rudders now turn easier and are dry as a bone.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Been there; done that...find a munchkin, put a pipe wrench on it and turn it. Save yourself from the $7,000 yard bill.
    Last edited by Angela; 10-14-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Could someone please explain how it tightens, or post a diagram if you have one?

Is the lower nut a locking nut that moves out of the way and then the top part tightens the packing by moving downward? Or is the lower nut attached to a tube that tightens against the packing by moving upward?

Any danger of affecting the rudder alignment?
    Last edited by davidwigler; 10-15-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Could someone please explain how it tightens, or post a diagram if you have one?

Is the lower nut a locking nut that moves out of the way and then the top part tightens the packing by moving downward?
    Is the lower nut a locking nut that moves out of the way and then the top part tightens the packing by moving downward?
    YES

NO
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Is it possible to add packing without hauling the boat? Are the rudder and shaft secure when the packing nut is loosened?

In theory... you can completely change the packing without hauling the boat. However with the (what we'll euphamistically call) access you have available I'd suggest you may be able to fit in an extra single ring of packing to get you by until the next haulout.

The rudders should have a collar and upper support bearing above the rudder shelf that will keep them in place while you work.

Here's a picture of the stack on my 36. Yours should be larger, but a similar configuration.:

--- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Thanks for the pic, Scrod. I am familiar with your two-nut style from my last boat. On this one the upper part looks more like a cap than a nut. The shelf blocks the view from above, and I had to reach my camera-hand as far as it would go into the bedside drawers to get these pics. I can't figure out why the shaft does not show at the top of the last picture. The nut and bolt that do appear at the top of the last picture are puzzling me.
    Last edited by davidwigler; 10-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Right, it's like a cap. The packing is underneath it. The shaft appears to show in the last picture, there's a shadow from the bolt on it. As far as the bolt... only a guess, but I'd say mounting hardware from the upper bearing.

In my picture that's the triangular looking part with the three bolts. It has the collar on top of it and then the steering arm. The packing gland/rudder post is in the bottom right-hand corner of the picture. Sorry if I'm telling you everything you already know, just making sure we're both seeing the same thing.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375