Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 53 Hatteras Values 101

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    A wise man once told me" Boats are never an investment, they are just pure expense"
    Darn, I thought it was supposed to be fun!

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Interesting thread.

The reason I am here, and drawn to these awesome boats is the same reason I owned a 1951 Rolls Royce a few years back, and spent $$ rebuilding things, whilst getting my hands very dirty. That and the fact that my sweetie of 25+ years says: "Yeah, on THAT I would spend a month or two......"

No, they are not an investment. Boating is not investing. It's an expensive hobby. But the way I look at it, if I get one with good lungs for a decent price and spit shine it, we'll have a ball playing with her, and then pass it on when we get too old to the next custodian for a similar amount. But we will have had a hoot with her, we will have taken care of her and maybe we will have spent a few (ok lots of fews) on parts pieces, and more than a few pints of blood lost from greasy nucles, and diesel and all that.... But I won't be seen DEAD in a Carver and 20% depreciation a year hurts too.
    Very close to my situation back 15 + years ago I bought mine so I had a good boat when I was done just not a redone boat. Learned that one from experience. So here it is 15 years later and I have the top side sanded done again and side windows ripped out of her because I didn't do that 15 years ago. Back then they were 5 years old and the boat had so many leaks I didn't know they were also part of it since they were just re-done Yes re-done but not done correctly Big difference.
    Anyway the other day I am ordering up epoxy, primer, sand paper and some other supply's so that and the window frames and glass is 2 Boat bucks and I just started plus my time. In my head added up the money over the years and was saying oh shit then I thought about the 15 years of GOOD times all the places I have been friends I have made because of the boating life and divided that by 15 and realized it was a good Deal money well spent and I am getting her ready for another 15 years +

So like many other have said its not always about the $$$$$.
    For me this is this is the time to do it better than the last time so it will take me to my final journey.
    I think its money well spent.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Nothing like bringing back a 3 year old thread. If anything can be added, I'm aware of a clean 1981 fresh water 53 in Tennessee that just sold for $150,000 per Frank Gordon. A good deal for the lucky buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Nothing like bringing back a 3 year old thread. If anything can be added, I'm aware of a clean 1981 fresh water 53 in Tennessee that just sold for $150,000 per Frank Gordon. A good deal for the lucky buyer.
    Uh oh the Internet cops are trolling. Old threads are not to be revived. Hey pizza is there a time limit we should know about?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I just saw a 53my today that needs the flybridge decking redone as the core is no more. Some freeze up damage to the underside as well evident by the salon headliner stains. Broker sez owner is pretty firm on asking price. I'm thinking he's a bit off from what I saw but there are a lot of overpriced boats.

If it's the 1984 year boat near Annapolis run don't walk. Take my word for it.

Yes it's that one, red hatt could you give me more info as to why I should run

ED.... asking 269K ?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Yes it's that one, red hatt could you give me more info as to why I should run
    http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...-84-Hatt-MY-53

I have been on every page going back as far as I can of this forum since I joined and this is one thread I didn't see. Wish I saw it before I made the 4hr $100 round trip to see that same boat.