Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 53 Hatteras Values 101

No kidding. And wait, there's more, like Billy used to say: there was a news item about Fender, who are the world's largest producers of electric guitars: sales are down, and not just because of a recession. Kids don't bother learning to play guitar anymore; everything is tracked, synthesized, and overdubbed.

Kids don't learn to play instruments anymore as its not as easy as virtual tracks and video games. Local clubs have some dirtbag scratching records and screaming while he plays crap instead or a live band. No need to learn how to play an instrument.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I had a very interesting conversation with a high school principal, I asked him what he thought was the reason that so many kids have ADD and so many have problems compared to 25 years ago.
    I think his answer was right on target. He said that they grew up with computer games and video's and the games are fast moving and full of action, so doing something like reading or writing or building a model or playing an instrumentl or doing a job or for sailing or boating is too slow and boring to them.

Personally I blame the video's for the school shootings and violence. They desensitize the kids after playing games where you push a button and blow people apart.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    I had a very interesting conversation with a high school principal, I asked him what he thought was the reason that so many kids have ADD and so many have problems compared to 25 years ago.
    I think his answer was right on target. He said that they grew up with computer games and video's and the games are fast moving and full of action, so doing something like reading or writing or building a model or playing an instrumentl or doing a job or for sailing or boating is too slow and boring to them.

Personally I blame the video's for the school shootings and violence. They desensitize the kids after playing games where you push a button and blow people apart.

That's the argument I make to my impassioned every year for the holidays. They dint understand that it is a contributing factor to our kids failure. They think video games teach them problem solving. I think they teach them how to be entertained round the clock without using their own mind and imagination.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    That's the argument I make to my impassioned every year for the holidays. They dint understand that it is a contributing factor to our kids failure. They think video games teach them problem solving. I think they teach them how to be entertained round the clock without using their own mind and imagination.
    To my inlaws. No way to edit a post on the phone.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Patience, understanding, hard work, learning from the ground up? Obsolete words in this new world of 10 second sound bites and instantaneous gratification.

Guess I'm too "old school".
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    Patience, understanding, hard work, learning from the ground up? Obsolete words in this new world of 10 second sound bites and instantaneous gratification.

Guess I'm too "old school".
    Instant gratification has another name according to some old girlfriends.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Well Folks . . . When it comes to the value of the old boats I just attended the Trawler Fest in Balt. There were several trawlers in the 50-65 range and frankly I'll keep Skooch. I'll use the $3.5 million I did not pay to cruise the bahamas this winter. We are leaving around the end of Oct.
    I did blow some sort of fitting or hose on the stabilizers on the way puking out couple qts of oil, but I can get that fixed for less than $3 mil.
    The only boat I would consider at the show was a new Novorania DL430 and my friends 65 LRC for $3 mil less than the boats on either side of her.
    Skooch
    58 LRC with broken stabilizers

I think you're ahead. The 58LRC is a terrific boat and as you say you can fix your stabilizers for something less than 3.5 million. Hell, you can probably fix them for less than one million.

Young people do still play musical instruments, believe it or not. My godson, the keyboard player, asked for one thing for this holiday season- a used (there are no new ones) Fender Rhodes electric piano. And he'll play it, too.....

But learning to play something, even just as a beginner, requires work, and you can't define video games etc as work, I don't care what anyone says.

Well, the U.S. military likes the video gamers for flying drones, instead of real pilots flying real planes. Kinda sad, really.