Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1978 Hatteras 53 MY

Does anyone know this old girl? Looks beautiful in the pictures, and shed kept on fresh water all year long.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/bod/5298332501.html

Tony

Re: 1978 Hatteras 53 MY

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Does anyone know this old girl? Looks beautiful in the pictures, and shed kept on fresh water all year long.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/bod/5298332501.html

Tony
    I do, she has only been in that she'd for about a year or so. I saw her for a long time in the Holland, MI area. When she was for sale a while back she needed cosmetics badly but it looks like the new owners have really cleaned her up. The paint was iffy back then and if you look close you can see where it's definitely been buffed to look good but is wearing thin in a lot of spots. Can't comment on machinery since I have no knowledge of that first hand.
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Wish it was easier to get to the NJ shore. This boat would be mine.

I've not seen her in person but it is a gorgeous yacht. Price is right for what she shows. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Wish it was easier to get to the NJ shore. This boat would be mine.
    About a week of running and it's there!
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Wish I had a week to burn !!!

Then you're not a real buyer. With these old boats, you have to be willing to look most anywhere for a good one. You can always hire someone to move her. Just add that to the purchase price. It may still be a deal considering what else is out there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I gotta agree with Sky. When I bought my first Hatteras LRC she was in St. Thomas USVI. First I hired a local surveyor to go over and look at her for about $300. He thought it was pretty good so we went from there. There was another on the West Coast so I hired another surveyor to look at that one but he was not impressed. In the mean time I spent weekends looking at boats all over the east coast by car and plane. I bought the USVI boat and shipped it to Miami because I did not have time to run her up the islands . . . I sure wanted to.

Skooch
    58 LRC
    Stono River SC

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Then you're not a real buyer. With these old boats, you have to be willing to look most anywhere for a good one. You can always hire someone to move her. Just add that to the purchase price. It may still be a deal considering what else is out there.
    Truth! These old girls are 30-40 years old that's a lot of wear and tear even if they sat in a shed you just ain't gonna find one that's "like new" you need to put the time in to find one where ever it is. The economy and fuel prices the last few years have done more damage to these boats than wind weather and tide ever could. Many have had owners that due to economic reasons couldn't affoard proper maintance and the boats deteriorated from lack there of. Add in that the price point fell to where people who had no business owning a boat of this type and size added to the mayhem of deterioration.
    You ain't going to find a pristine 68 Shelby on every block same goes for these old girls.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present