Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hey Daddy Pizzaz, tell us about your boat.

Sounds really nice. A few more questions:

1) I see no pics of the bow pulpit or windlass. Does it have a chain gypsy? How much chain?
    2) It looks like the old 3-knob A/C controls. Were those upgraded to digital?
    3) I see you kept the Galleymaid toilets. Did you replace the hoses from the heads to the holding tanks? Drop tubes into the tanks?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

With all due respect..it is a 1979 boat...250 K if one is lucky in this market, upgrades usually help to accelerate a sale, difficult to recover and improve on dollars spent...we have 3 million dollar boats here in the PNW selling for less than 1/2...just proves..overpriced to start with...

In response to your various questions...

1. Paid high $100s to start.
    2. Insured for $300K with windstorm for $5600 annually.
    3. Engines. I understand your wishes for modern new ones. These 1000 original hour 871TIs totally survey out, and are running too perfectly to consider anything for a long time to come. Brand New power at todays prices brings the bill up to $850,000.
    4. The original paint is still stunning.
    5. Consider stabilizers and the Queen bed as "available options". You get modern new stabilizers instead of worn out old ones.
    6. I know that redecorating is everyones personal choice. Please note the Carpeting, Ultra Leather Sofa and the Leather Recliner in the salon are all new. For the wife who disliked the Cranberry color, please be aware that all the new interior softgoods were done only in neutral light beige, so as to offset the rich color of the interior woods. All of the cranberry color accents you see in the photos, are made up of nothing more than pillows, and $1500 in custom area rugs. You could easlily "redecorate", at least in the beginning, to any colors you like for around $2000. That was done on purpose. PIZZAZ still has her original bedspeads and window treatments. I haven't gotten to those yet.
    6. The market. A Hatteras is still a Hatteras. The pattern I see shows that market slowly changing. A new 50-60ft Hatteras costs $3 Million in todays dollars. Sure you can buy a nasty one for under $100,000 to a really nice one for under $300,000. However, sooner or later, you'll still have to do all the little things PIZZAZ just had done all at once, on top of the price you pay.

Price it out at any quality yard you like.

Thanks for your interest everyone.

Thanks for the description. I'm getting a good idea of just how nice this boat is. But you still haven't answered these questions:

1) I see no pics of the bow pulpit or windlass. Does it have a chain gypsy? How much chain?
    2) It looks like the old 3-knob A/C controls. Were those upgraded to digital?
    3) I see you kept the Galleymaid toilets. Did you replace the hoses from the heads to the holding tanks? Drop tubes into the tanks?

I'm not trying to be critical here. I am truly trying to compare your boat to what I have right now and I see alot of similarities. My 1985 53ED has always been freshwater and was stored in a covered shed. I have the 100amp service, new generator, new inverter, stabilizers, new galley appliances and countertops, new lighting and headliner, etc. I'm just seeing what I would have to do to Pizzaz if she were mine. I think any serious potential buyer would do the same.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-23-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Hi Skycheny

You aren't being critical. In fact, I appreciate everyones suggestions and input, and yours in particular. Obviously owning a really stand-up extra nice boat yourself, you can understand this way better than some. We're on the same page. No offense taken.

In response to your new questions,

1. It's the standard Hatteras Pulpit with the teak insert and Galley Maid Windlass. I don't have a clue as to how much chain is in there. I've never used it.

2. Yes, 3-knob A/C Controls. The AC upgrades to PIZZAZ include a New 16,000 BTU Compressor for the Aft Deck AC, New Salon AC Handler. In fact, the entire AC system was just serviced and de-scaled for $1700 last week, including a new AC Water Pump Impeller. When she was at Cable Marine last year, all the A/C hoses were replaced new at that time. AC water strainers are checked and cleaned monthly.

3. Yes. All of the ships head plumbing and hoses were replaced with new during her refit. All 3 Galley Maid head pumps have been replaced new as well.

The reason I try to stay with factory original new everything, is exacly because everyone has an opinion, (and some darn good ones), on how they would like to upgrade something for their own usage. I'm only trying to offer up the nicest available, and most factory original 58 Yacht Fish "platform" still in existence ...and then let the buyers own individual needs and creativity take over from there.

One word of advice. Your broker has listed Pizzaz as a 58 Cockpit Motor Yacht. That is technically incorrect as the 58CMY was essentially a 53 extended deckhouse with a cockpit. Your 58 Yachtfish is a 53 classic MY with a cockpit.

Most people looking for a 58YF may not be able to find your listing on Yachtworld unless you change the title to Hatteras 58 Yachtfish.
    Sky Cheney

Pizzazdaddy,

Thanks for all the info on the re-fit. I'm still confused but not because of your vessel or price I just do not know what the market really wants in a first class re-fit. I know you and Sky and others on the forum like staying with Hatteras original. I do too, but only to a point. The market seems to want modern accessories and equiptment in boats. It does not seem to follow the old car collectors situation were everything needs to be exactly as the factory made it.

My friend has a 30+ year old Porche. It and like most of the production run were owner re-fitted with Weber Carbs. The originals did not work well. His car is worth something like $10K more because he has the original old carbs in the trunk.

A new 58 from any top builder is now around $3 mil. I could not agree more that a re-fit HAtt 58 YF should be worth 20% of that. I used to think the 3 million dollar buyer was totally different from the Re-fit buyer but that just is not true. Many of my LRC club friends could buy anything they want.

Sky gave us a list of what he may want in a re-fit HAtt. Anyone else chime in.

Skooch
    42 and 58 LRC
    Sassafrass River MD

Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
    Pizzazdaddy,

Thanks for all the info on the re-fit. I'm still confused but not because of your vessel or price I just do not know what the market really wants in a first class re-fit. I know you and Sky and others on the forum like staying with Hatteras original. I do too, but only to a point. The market seems to want modern accessories and equiptment in boats. It does not seem to follow the old car collectors situation were everything needs to be exactly as the factory made it.

My friend has a 30+ year old Porche. It and like most of the production run were owner re-fitted with Weber Carbs. The originals did not work well. His car is worth something like $10K more because he has the original old carbs in the trunk.

A new 58 from any top builder is now around $3 mil. I could not agree more that a re-fit HAtt 58 YF should be worth 20% of that. I used to think the 3 million dollar buyer was totally different from the Re-fit buyer but that just is not true. Many of my LRC club friends could buy anything they want.

Sky gave us a list of what he may want in a re-fit HAtt. Anyone else chime in.

Skooch
    42 and 58 LRC
    Sassafrass River MD
    I agree. Most buyers aren't looking for original. Yes you do want the boat to remain unmolested, but new modern systems and features are very desirable to most buyers. My boat has a refit interior. All new salon and galley. Galley was bulk headed from the salon but now has a modern low profile layout. All new appliances, granite, flooring, headliner, lighting, wood etc. Heads are all new also. The work was top notch and greatly enhances the boat. For me that is a huge benefit and what really sold me on the boat. As for what new ones cost, those numbers are way down too. In 2008 a new 60C Hatt was around 3.2mil. Now they are selling for around 2.6 fairly well equipped. When I bought my boat in 3/11 there was a pristine '08 60C for sale next to me. They started over 2 mil for the boat. When I left it was reduced to around 1.6. It eventually sold for around 1.5. That over a 50% hit in less than 3 years. No way an old boat is going to sell for 20% of what a modern boat would. That would make my boat worth around 750K. I'll give someone a bargain and take 600K for it. 4 or 5 years ago that would have been a deal.
    Jack Sardina

Thanks, But I'll take the 2003 63' Hatt with 1400 hp Cats and 1000 hours for the same price.....Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    Thanks, But I'll take the 2003 63' Hatt with 1400 hp Cats and 1000 hours for the same price.....Pat
    What is your source? Can't find a 2003 63' less that $995k
    Art