Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hey Daddy Pizzaz, tell us about your boat.

I see you are a new member, but there was a thread earlier about your 58YF questioning the asking price and what was really done to her.

Please tell us all that was done and what makes her a $600K yacht. I have always loved that model and yours is obviously very nice and original. I would like to know details. How long have you owned her? The history of the boat? What was involved in the renovation?

Thanks
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Hey Daddy Pizzaz, tell us about your boat.

Hi Skycheny

The 58 Yacht Fish is my favorite model of all time too, PIZZAZ (ex-Enterprise) was built in 1979/ Delivered in 1980 by Hatteras of Lauderdale. Full details and photos on the Yacht World listing with Frank Gordon. YW# 2584-2477885.

When I purchased her in June of 2010, PIZZAZ was already a "cream-puff". Kinda like finding a 1954 Corvette with 7,000 miles on it, under a tarp in some grandmas barn in Iowa! 980 original hours since new at the time. (only 1073 hours as of today). Stored Undercover in fresh water up the New River at Bradfords in Ft. Lauderdale most of her life. Her loving owner of 32 years had been ill for a couple of years, and the boat was sitting unused. He finally decided to sell it. I couldn't wait to buy it! He cried at the closing.

Great boats are my passion. To me, the renewal project is as much fun as enjoying it afterwords. (This is my 22nd such undertaking in the past 40 years). It's not about getting it done cheaper. It's about getting experienced quality work, done right the first time, on the right boat to start with, at a fair price. PIZZAZ spent her first 7 months at Cable Marine in Ft. Lauderdale with a singular mission, which was to refit everything that a 30 year old Hatteras needs refitting, to factory original, but updated to current new boat standards.

No Electronics. No Stabilizers, No Thrusters. But ready to equip the way a new boat buyer wants it. The seemingly rediculous $599,000 asking price simply reflects the boat itself, and what I've got in it, (with receipts), while there's still 3-4 years left on the extended warranties of all the new components. It's not about the price, it's about the "value" and peace of mind. She's for a special buyer, who wants it today.

PIZZAZ is in Palm Beach County, only 30 minutes north of Ft. Lauderdale. I would suggest anyone seeking a truly nice 53 or 58 to look at this one, and then price out what it would really cost to correctly restore a rough one. I think it would make for an interresting discussion.

Thanks
    Pizzaz's Daddy

It would make for an interesting discussion.

What I was wondering is what was actually done during the refit? Most of the OEM Hatteras stuff is almost bulletproof with regular maintenance, so what did she need? It looks like soft goods were updated. What else?
    Sky Cheney

Have you had any luck getting insurance in line with the now improved value? Or financing?
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Handsome boat. Asking price certainly at the top of the market, but then again it appears everything's already done for you..... it might even include a toothbrush and toothpaste...

I just finished looking at Pizzaz's listing and it looks great and very nicely decorated. I hope you get your price, if nothing else but increase Hatteras values. The market has been tough on asking price and many boats have been reluctantly lowered. I watched a 53 that had over $500k in work drop $200k over a year's time in asking price and now appears recently sold.

Again, good luck.
    Art

What was the original sales price of PIZZAZ ( Enterprise ) just curious.

JB

Sky is right. What was replaced? What was done? It would be a great discussion to figure out what it takes to re-furd an old Hatt. I did a 42 LRC •YW# 77126-2420879 , then bought a 58 LRC to re-fit. I have not been able to sell the 42 yet and that money will speed along the re-fit of the 58. At least that was the plan.

Anyway, the 42 got most machinery re-placed and the engines rebuilt. New transmissions, new generator, engine mounts, 2 of 3 A/C compressors and one handler, new inverter/batteries, New electronics (Sat TV, radar, 2 networked Plotters, depth sounders, auto pilot, ais, radios). shafts, props, seals, stabilizers, sea cocks rebuilt. Salon window frames replaced with new rest re-fitted. New dinghy, motor, and crane windless. Boat painted top to bottom, new non-skid. New anchor, chain, windless rebuilt. New carpet and all soft goods and mattersses. New raritan Atlantis FW heads. New water pump, filter, water heater and most plumping. Teak and holly floors in heads. New glasstop range. Re-fit took about 2 years. I put about 2000 hours on her. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

So I bought the boat in 2000 for $150K in rough shape in St Croix USVI and its for sale for $150K in S. FL. And I can't seem to sell it! The market is not good. I think my 42 is a great little boat and would be a great purchase at the price but the market rules. Hopefully someone will want it. I did not buy it or fix it up to sell it. I bought it for my wife and I to use it and we did.

Now the 58 YF is for sale at $600K when other lesser versions are $200K. Yup I'm confused. My wife does not like red so I have to re-do the interior and re-paint the stripes? I've had 6 GM heads in my life and she made me re-place all of them, working or not. Electronics would be $50K or better. Add that on.

So Hatteras forum folks. What would you look for in a upgraded or re-fit intage Hatteras?

Skooch
    42 LRC 1980 •YW# 77126-2420879
    58 LRC 1976
    Sassafras River MD

I can see paying 600 if it had:

1) stabilizers
    2) Queen in master
    3) new modern diesel repower
    4) new paint

Just putting in a new generator, lighting, appliances and headliner isn't going to do it.

That's why I'm asking what was involved in the refit. Maybe I'm missing something. Don't take this the wrong way. I love the boat and I'm definitely interested. This is the model I can see being my last boat. And.....she is definitely the most original of any I have seen to date. No painted wood, no mirrors or wallpaper, and no strange mods to the layout. VERY NICE!
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-23-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Sky Cheney

That's sort of hard to explain. EVERY internal system was serviced or updated! I'm pretty sure the Yachtworld listing covers most of it.

It's called the "While You're at it" Rule. All the Hatteras stuff was perfect to start with and still is. PIZZAZ didn't really NEED anything except a new generator, after the old 15KW Onan swallowed an impeller on sea trial.

That project alone, meant cutting a hole in the galley roof, in order to drop in a brand new 17KW Generator.

Since you've got the hole cut anyway, no matter how well they work, you might as well replace the 30 year old appliances "While you're at it"... and the flooring, and the upholstery, and the lighting, and the wiring, and cabinet work, plus plus plus.

Once we got the new full size "energy efficient" appliances installed, we realized their power consumption exceeded the capacity of the now outdated 110/220 system, which meant calling in the marine electrician to straighten THAT out. We upgraded the ship's service to 100AMP, utilizing 2 50s. New Wiring. New Transformer, New Circuit Breaker Mains, New Ground Wire to the ships bonding system, New Galvanic Isolators. The Works.

While you're at it, you might as well replace the ships plumbing. While you're at it.....Replace every hose, every clamp, every filter, every impeller, every pump, and anything else you can improve upon, simply because it's 30 years old. Refresh the fuel and cooling systems. New Cutlass Bearings, Engine Alignments, the list goes on and on. 138 items in all, just at Cable Marine. Just to make them new again, to original factory spec.

This isn't a "fluff 'n buff". PIZZAZ is the real deal from the inside.