Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1978 Hatteras 58' Yachtfish

I think I have found another Hatteras I want to buy.

There is nothing wrong with this boat. When we bought her in 1978, she was the best 58 or 53MY that we had seen. Most boats we saw were worned out or trashed. We have IMPROVED the boat ever since we bought with paint, fixing issues, adding features we wanted. It is much better now that it was when we bought her.

The price is a premium price so if you are not willing to pay a premium for condition & features, KEEP LOOKING.

Boat is located in Ft Lauderdale.

Tomrealest@aol.com
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Re: 1978 Hatteras 58' Yachtfish

Hey Tom,

Just a suggestion. If you post some info, prices and pictures it may help. telling us its priced high and like it or leave it is not going to get you interested buyers.

I was involved in a sale of a series 1 41C recently at almost $200K. The boat was not something that could be described but had to be seen to be appreciated. If the buyer had seen a post like yours he would never have considered it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I’m looking for a 53 /58 MY and I agree with Scott asking price and pics would create interest. Don’t tell me that you want me to pay a premium for items or features YOU wanted.

I’M looking to purchase my boat no yours. If I am selling I would be a little more flexible especially in this market.

JB
    Last edited by Newbieboater; 08-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbieboater View Post
    I’m looking for a 53 /58 MY and I agree with Scott asking price and pics would create interest. Don’t tell me that you want me to pay a premium for items or features YOU wanted.

I’M looking to purchase my boat no yours. If I am selling I would be a little more flexible especially in this market.

JB
    It all comes down to condition and its getting very difficult to find a boat this old that is in good shape. Most buyers aren't willing to pay a premium, but then, most of them also have no idea how much money and time it would take to bring one up to snuff. And, there are plenty of dogs out there.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

SKY,

Just for discussion, a boat is 45 years old and the MSRP was $100,000.00/$150,000.00. Ten years ago it got a $300,000.00 upgrade. The boat is for sale today and it is in good condition

Questions are:

Did the current owner make a smart decision by spending an additional $300,000.00 on the boat.

What would you say a fair market value is today?

Assume we are talking about a 53MY.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Newbieboater View Post
    Questions are:

Did the current owner make a smart decision by spending an additional $300,000.00 on the boat.

What would you say a fair market value is today?

JB
    As has been said here many times before, what someone paid for it, and what someone put into it is irrelevant. It is worth at least what a buyer is willing to pay on the day the offer is made.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 08-24-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I have a 38 ft'r I'm practically giving away considering what the boat has (not what I wanted) and I have pictures and am nice about it- not so much a reply much less an inquiry. lol

"A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"

[QUOTE=captscottc;216261]I have a 38 ft'r I'm practically giving away considering what the boat has (not what I wanted) and I have pictures and am nice about it- not so much a reply much less an inquiry. lol

What are you asking for your 38

JB

Most of the old Hatts on YW are tired. The ones that are pristine rarely make it there as they are sold privately and many times without a broker.

You can't just look at what was spent in upgrades and refits. That means little if it wasn't maintained.

Are there buyers willing to pay more for the perfect old Hatt? Yes, but they are few.

Is it a good investment to buy an old boat and fix it up? No. Boats are merely an expensive hobby. You can buy a fixer upper cheap and spend a bunch to get it right, or you can buy one that someone else spent a bunch to upgrade and maintain. In the end, you'll still lose out so you'd better like the boat, keep it a long time, and use it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Most of the old Hatts on YW are tired. The ones that are pristine rarely make it there as they are sold privately and many times without a broker.

You can't just look at what was spent in upgrades and refits. That means little if it wasn't maintained.

Are there buyers willing to pay more for the perfect old Hatt? Yes, but they are few.

Is it a good investment to buy an old boat and fix it up? No. Boats are merely an expensive hobby. You can buy a fixer upper cheap and spend a bunch to get it right, or you can buy one that someone else spent a bunch to upgrade and maintain. In the end, you'll still lose out so you'd better like the boat, keep it a long time, and use it.
    The only ones that are selling are the good ones.But if you think you're going to get a premium for a refit you're going to be disappointed. It will get you a bit more but don't expect much. There are many pristine boats that have had refits, including new engines and are not selling for too much more than similar models that are in good condition. If you take a 200K boat and put 300K into it, you'll end up with an exceptionally nice 200K boat. If you think you'll get even close to your investment, you'll be owning it for a long time. When you look at what good clean, low hour newer boats are selling for, you'll understand why the ceiling is lower for these older boats. Throw in lack of available financing and the demand sharply decreases.
    Jack Sardina