Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flooring

Flooring

My last boat had a sole of teak and holley plywood. It looked good, but dented easily. Panel World or is it World Panel sells the 4 x 8 and 4 x 10 sheets of the material. Has anybody used it on the floor of their Hatteras. I currently have carpet throughout (except tile in the heads, and parquay (sp) is the galley and pilothouse.. the plywood looks quick and easy. Anybody experienced with it?? Thanks

Re: Flooring

It's not as quick and easy as you may imagine. In a larger areas you have butt seams to deal with. For example, 8 and 10 ft lengths aren't long enough in a big deckhouse. It isn't easy to get those joints to fall in inconspicuous places. Then you have to finish it. Proper finishing can take as many hours as the install. If you do decide to go this route, use the 1/2" thick ply and not the 1/4".

I would explore Lonseal. Its a vinyl that comes in 6' width and looks very good. Glue it down and you're done.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

You might also consider laminate flooring. I used a 12mm thick flooring with an African Mahogany finish and did the install all by myself - so it can't be that hard. I dropped a hammer on it and it didn't dent, but the pointy end of some pliars did. I am so happy to be rid of every piece of carpet inside the boat - no more carpet steam cleaning; no more being the shoe natzi; and a whole lot less dust (carpet fibers) floating around.

The stuff is heavy and does add weight to the boat. It was tough hauling those 30 boxes down the dock and up the stairs.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I have a 3 word solution:

Amtico, Amtico, Amtico!

Seriously - great stuff. I installed Amtico "teak/holly" on our boat some years ago and it has worn like iron and always gets rave reviews whenever anyone comes aboard. A boat broker was down on his knees examining it, saying, "I can't tell this isn't real wood." They have a ton of different styles/colors. http://america.amtico.com/vinyl-floo...co-marine.aspx
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I just had nu teak put in, not the exterior stuff. 2 inch wide strips with 1/4 holly it's a little darker then amtico, but otherwise very similar. I love it way better then rugs not slippery and very durable. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

I have used both the plywood from World Panel and Amtico. I used the plywood T&H in the galley of TUCANDU, a 43'DCMY sold to Robby and Bren Bendal a couple of years ago. I liked the look, but found it difficult to fit into odd shaped places. Also, if you need to butt two pieces side by side, be aware that the sheets are made with the wide teak strip on both outside edges so you would need to cut that teak strip off to get a holly strip to match up against the teak strip on the adjacent sheet. Big pain. I also found that it dented easily.

I put Amtico Teak & Holly in the galley of BUFFALO GAL. It looks great and wears like iron. I found it to be a bit of a pain to install. It comes in 4' strips of teak and "holly" that have to be cut, fit and glued in place individually. I also found that the expensive two part adhesive they sell for sticking it down would flash off after I had used only about half of it, even though I had cut and fit all the pieces before starting to glue down. Maybe that happened because I was working alone and probably slower than a pro who does this kind of work every day.

Like most things on boats, there are trade-offs. Were I to do it again I would still use the Amtico. Hope this is helpful to you.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Here's a link to one of my postings of 7 years ago re Amtico installation. There are others from that same period. This one covers some of the points Bill mentioned:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Amtico

Here's one of my favorite pics of the installation...THis was dry-fitting at the helm - every piece was individually numbered so it could go back in the correct spot after the adhesive was laid. This, and the improved method, are covered in the post, above.

And a pic at the helm after the first portion was laid. New carpet and trim adjoined the Amtico later.

Last edited by MikeP; 07-25-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Amtico is fabulous. The rep told me to mix 1/2 or less of the adhesive and just keep the proportions right. That was after I called for another pail of adhesive. Duh. I can only commend Mike P. preparedness and enthusiastic crew. I have dropped things on that floor that would have cracked gelcoat. Awesome stuff.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

From viewing the Amtico floor in MikeP's Hatteras- you can't do better than this stuff. (it is also used by Hatteras for OEM installs btw) It is indistinguishable from real wood and appears impervious to anything short of a small, low-yield nuclear device. Highly recommended. If I ever go back to plain floors I will use it.

Lonseal is fine, too. Frankly, anything but real wood is fine. Real wood, in this application, is even harder to put in and doesn't wear nearly as well as the synthetics. Get the look, not the maintenance, with synthetics.

Uh... Jim, a spammer with a floor/carpet fetish bumps an old thread and you start talking about Mike's floors?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93