Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time for a New Helm

I finally gave in and got rid of the 80's vintage helm equipment and replaced it all with a Furuno TZT14. Now I can reach everything from the helm seat. Switches were all replaced and relocated into laser cut mirrored stainless plates and gages were relocated to a smaller cluster to make room for the new MFD box. Before and after photos below (actually after then before).
    photo.jpgOld Helm.jpg
    Last edited by Timeout; 07-10-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: corrections
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Re: Time for a New Helm

Very nice! But now you don't have as many boxes and gadgets to brag about!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Less is more, but size does matter, hence the 14" display...
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Looks great!
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Thanks. 80% of the time was engineering what to do, what materials and parts to use and removing several bushels of PO wiring. Making up to date components not look out of place on a 34 year old boat takes some thought. Many sketches and cardboard prototypes involved in the planning process. The actual build and install was fairly straight forward.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Nice job. Very clean install.

I find the same thing with most any job. Preparation is 90% (or therabouts) of the job. But that's what brings the the execution to only 10% and makes the results 100%.

So, where's the compass?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

The compass is hidden by the wire chase going to the bridge in that picture. Its still there.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Your "before" photo looks like the Navigation Museum- I think I see items made by Micrologic, Datamarine, and some others that aren't around any more. I had one of those ICOM VHF radios, which I think was called an M120 or M100. Best radio I ever had.

Overall, this is a great helm update and I am glad you posted it. Also jealous.

That RADAR has to be a JRC. The buttons look identical to the ones on my fishfinder.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I think the radio is an Icom M-80. It was an excellent radio. Just does not have all the new bells and whistles of today's. Imagine, once upon a time people only used their radios for talking.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932