Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

last battery question

Priced and sourced the battery options. The 8v195's are the only ones that will "fit" my 14
    1/2 wide battery boxes. Granted they flare out, and by placing a spaced on the bottom of the box to raise the battery up a little some slightly wider batteries become options. The 8v195's are 1/3 cheaper than the other options, and its on the Starbord (cranking only side). Do the 8v195's have the power to crank 12v71ti, with 40w oil in 30 degree weather
    ? I don't necessarily mind spending the extra bucks, but blowing the extra 600 on something else would be nice. Thanks

Re: last battery question

8V195's are fine.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I use 195's as cranking batteries for my starboard 8v92TTI. They spin it just fine. I can't comment on cold weather starting because I have block heaters (strongly recommended if you are in a cold, as in non-tropical area). Are you saying the boat came with 195s and that is what you are replacing? I guess anythings possible.However, there are several more robust (as in heavier and deeper cycle) batteries that will fit in that same width. The 195's replaced a pair of 819's in my case with the same room. and the Rolls 8HHG 25's I put over on the house side also replaced 819s. The 819's are only a quarter of an inch wider. OEM boxes would be sized to fit them or the Rolls. The 195's are about 4" shorter than the OEM sized batteries; I put some wooden shims in to keep them from moving. Frankly, I am not proud about using the 195s, but they solved the issue at the time the quickest way possible. They have held up for over two years now of fairly constant use. I consider them to be on "bonus time" from here on out. I ordered mine through a Batteries Plus franchise who gave me a very good price competitive with on-line sources.
    Last edited by GJH; 08-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

195's have more issues than 819's. Price is not the only consideration.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    195's have more issues than 819's. Price is not the only consideration.
    Well, I said I wasn't proud! That's also why I consider myself to be on "bonus time" after two years. I guess I balanced out my karma by putting the big Rolls units over on the house side, or so I rationalize!.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014