Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Snubber for all chain anchor line

OK,
    Am in the middle of doing a LOT to the "No Dial Tone" (happens when one retires and actually has time to do stuff).
    One item is, just ordered a new anchor windlass and ordered all chain rode (9/16th).
    What snubber do you use ? I like'd the idea of a 25' or so of 3 strand line that hooked onto both forward cleats with a hook for the chain...
    But I read where some use a "rolling knot" with only one line... The "Dr Hook" also only comes with one line...
    Thoughts ??
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Snubber for all chain anchor line

You can also use a hook like those used on trailer winches or even dinghy davits if the opening is properly sized

Frankly in most mild conditions I find they are not needed but good to have already rigged in case you re caught in a blow
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Do you mean 7/16 chain?
    I use a bridle of 2- 3/4 3 strand nylon at 25 feet to a Sea Dog chain hook. Only problem is getting it onto the chain after setting in. I have to hold the hook onto the chain with a platic tie wrap to hold it on until I can let out more chain behind it. I am looking for a better solution But I like the bridle when its blowing as it takes up some stress on the system. The chain hangs down in front of hook and adds wieght. I try to put 20 feet out to the loop which adds a cantor wieght of about 50 pounds with my 1/2 chain.
    Skooch

Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
    Do you mean 7/16 chain?
    I use a bridle of 2- 3/4 3 strand nylon at 25 feet to a Sea Dog chain hook. Only problem is getting it onto the chain after setting in. I have to hold the hook onto the chain with a platic tie wrap to hold it on until I can let out more chain behind it. I am looking for a better solution But I like the bridle when its blowing as it takes up some stress on the system. The chain hangs down in front of hook and adds wieght. I try to put 20 feet out to the loop which adds a cantor wieght of about 50 pounds with my 1/2 chain.
    Skooch
    7/16 or 9/16, that is some big chain for a 43 foot boat.

I always use a snubber, much like Dave's description, though I got by great for a long time simply putting a rolling hitch on it. Takes so much pressure off the pulpit and roller unless you are in dead calm conditions. My hook is a simple piece of SS as pictured below, works great.

George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I used to use a hook like George's and it works well if you have some one to handle the helm while you engage the hook. After my wife died I switched to using two Wichard hooks with appropriate load rating on seperate snubbers for single handing. These can be deployed singly for light weather or as a bridle when needed. Work great. The only issue I encounter is the snap can be hard for me to remove because of arthritus in the hand, and if you need to retrieve the anchor in an electrical storm, you are going to have your hands wrapped around a good ground.

Still looking for a better solution that is easy to attach and remove, but will not fall off in unusual conditions as the pictured hook has on two occasions.

Bobk

I have a 3/8's winch hook or trailer hook for $5.00 for my 3/8's chain. When you get the hook set and chain at proper length just attach the hook under the windless shute and let it out until you get the right chain droop and your good to go. Use the same thing on my bridle. 80percent of the time when you pull up the anchor it drops off the chain bingo. You of course have you rope or bridle preset on your forward cleats.

I do the same thing as Ron said. It's a piece of cake. I made my bridle using large, 1" I think, twisted rope and weaved an eye into each end that fits over the cleat. I hook my chain to it and then set my anchor because we don't like to pull on the windlass. It seems to me that if I don't pull with the windlass, it will last longer. And that's why I use it every time we anchor no matter what the conditions. I know, I know...others here have different opinions on when to use a bridle and when not, but it's my windlass and it's my wallet that gets dinged when the windlass breaks, so we do it my way on this boat.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I don't understand the difficulty with my set up, I find it extremely easy just to drop it on the chain, easier than a chain hook. The problem with cheap chain hooks is they twist the chain and put extra side strain on it as a result, literally creating a weak link. You want something like a devil's claw or my plate to even the load on the link. Even a well tied rolling hitch is better than a chain hook.
    George
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    I don't understand the difficulty with my set up, I find it extremely easy just to drop it on the chain, easier than a chain hook. The problem with cheap chain hooks is they twist the chain and put extra side strain on it as a result, literally creating a weak link. You want something like a devil's claw or my plate to even the load on the link. Even a well tied rolling hitch is better than a chain hook.
    I had to keep tension of the snubber lines while paying out the extra chain... in essence holding the boat back against currents with the line. I couldn't manage that single handing. How do you do it? I still have your style hook with bridle attached.

Bobk

Bob, maybe the slot is not the right size on yours? Or it is not heavy enough? I just drop mine on a vertical link and it stays put. The shackles and snubber lines also seem to help it keep snugged down on the link.

Does your chain twist as it goes out? I have to get mine virtually upside down for it to drop off.

I will try to remember to take some pics of it deployed when we raise anchor in the next two or three days.
    Last edited by GJH; 06-24-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    George
    2007-2014