Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Galley Maid Head: Won't Flush

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Even though you've pumped her out, sounds like your holding tank(s) dip tube has suffered that all too familiar fate of corroding away. On a normal GM set-up, that's the only way waste will back up into a bowl. Sounds like your going to have to eliminate that possibility before proceeding.
    Great point Robert. Nasty job. Maybe you can recommend your fecal matter removal system journeyman. That guy seems to know what he was doing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Great point Robert. Nasty job. Maybe you can recommend your fecal matter removal system journeyman. That guy seems to know what he was doing.
    Good idea Rusty. I almost forgot about this groundbreaking how to on Hatteras waste system https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nMZIW2dJc
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Even though you've pumped her out, sounds like your holding tank(s) dip tube has suffered that all too familiar fate of corroding away. On a normal GM set-up, that's the only way waste will back up into a bowl. Sounds like your going to have to eliminate that possibility before proceeding.
    I have worked on my neighbors 53 Hatt and the pickup in the holding tank was half gone. Replaced it (a dirty job) and all was well.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    There is ZERO connection between the two in the proper setup..... It's one motor with two separate pumps on the two ends of it's spindle......The hoses do not meet.....

You have any pictures of this engineering marvel?
    I have seen galley maid pumps with a crossover line between the bleed ports, my understanding was that it was to prevent suction side running dry / help prime. I also understand that pump needed to be below water line for this to work, but the disadvantage is, if waste rotor or stater are worn then water can leak by filling holding tank if it is below water line.

I agree some pictures would help.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

My boat has a valving system that diverts the discharge for each head to either the tank or overboard. Are you sure the discharge valves to the tank are open? If it can discharge overboard try opening those valves temporarily to see if it will drain the bowl. If so then you have holding tank issues or issues getting it there.

Good idea Rusty. I almost forgot about this groundbreaking how to on Hatteras waste system https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nMZIW2dJc
    The diploma was the best!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

I'd like to thank everyone that responded with advice for my issue. My next step is going to be the replacement of the dip tube in the holding tank, as the behavior I am encountering is that the tube is probably holed or rotted off. The tank vent tube was already replaced but didn't do much to counter the issue of not being able to pump completely. And the video was actually kind of informative. I did contact Sams Marine about the availability of a pre-made dip tube assembly for this boat, but am prepared to fabricate one if needed.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Robert, thanks for the advice. I was already leaning that way before you posted. I've replaced the vent tubing, and the pumpout tubing was replaced shortly before we bought the boat. The dip tube is apparently original and is my next go-to, probably tomorrow morning so I can tackle the issue and make Lowes runs as needed.

All of y'all say a prayer for me. We've owned the boat just under a month and our shakedown cruise to our home port in Fort Myers FL proved to have shaken some things loose.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Robert, thanks for the advice. I was already leaning that way before you posted. I've replaced the vent tubing, and the pumpout tubing was replaced shortly before we bought the boat. The dip tube is apparently original and is my next go-to, probably tomorrow morning so I can tackle the issue and make Lowes runs as needed.

All of y'all say a prayer for me. We've owned the boat just under a month and our shakedown cruise to our home port in Fort Myers FL proved to have shaken some things loose.
    Sleeve the existing dip tube with 1-1/2" (if I recall) PVC. Measure carefully and cut a 45 on the business end. You'll be hard pressed to get it out once it's in with sealant. But it will survive us all.

When the time comes (and it will) to rebuild your head pump, you may find this short video to also be informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8W6qyDL9Y
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Sleeve the existing dip tube with 1-1/2" (if I recall) PVC. Measure carefully and cut a 45 on the business end. You'll be hard pressed to get it out once it's in with sealant. But it will survive us all.

When the time comes (and it will) to rebuild your head pump, you may find this short video to also be informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8W6qyDL9Y
    Your videos are priceless, but I am fortunate that my only waste pump is sitting on the outboard side of the port engine room and easily accessible. However my intent is to replace both midships and aft heads with Dometic Masterflush 7160, which will eliminate the need for the Galley Maid waste pump as they're an all-in-one unit.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL