Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Galley Maid Head: Won't Flush

The snake probably won’t work. You need a plunger. But, instead of plunging, push slowly to expel the air. Then jerk upwards. Best on a less than full bowl. Do it a few times to dislodge the clog. When it flushes you’ve got it. Then undo that plumbing abortion you’ve got.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The PO routed the aft and midships heads both to one GalleyMaid pump in the port engine room. The plan is to install a second pump for the aft head. He ran a main line from the aft head with the midships head connected thru a manifold in the waste line to the pump. When I replumb the heads and run a second pump, this will be corrected. But up until yesterday it was working.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

It wouldn't let me quote the post, but the plunger technique is what I've been using without success. Thank you for the suggestion though. The snake was a swing and a miss. The funky elbow defeated the snake.
    Last edited by rwaldrop13; 09-15-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    If you are concerned that muriatic acid might be too harsh, try cleaning vinegar. It is available online at 30%.
    Thanks. I will look that up, and I have a monthly vinegar dump for each head in use on my calendar.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

SO when you push the button, water is pumped into both bowls and both bowls flush simultaneously? IF that's the case, then no wonder you can't get it to flush. The suction will only pull from the one with the least resistance which is going to be the one without the clog.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-15-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    SO when you push the button, water is pumped into both bowls and both bowls flush simultaneously? IF that's the case, then no wonder you can't get it to flush. The suction will only pull from the one with the least resistance which is going to be the one without the clog.
    And if that is the case PLUG the other one to maybe get this one unclogged. Careful as the other one will now overflow unless there is a valve in the supply line you can shut off.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Not a good modification as will pull from head with least vacuum required to clear bowl.
    Have you tried plugging the head that will clear and see if operating pump then clears the stopped up bowl.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I don't see how one pump and work for two heads. There must be another pump there somewhere. That just doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    You should have three head pumps one in the master, one in the starboard engine room and one in the generator room.
    I get what y'all are saying, but believe me there is one pump. It's wired so either the aft head or midships head controls it, and it pulls from both heads via a main line to the aft head with the midships head connected in there as well.

The new issue after trying the muriatic acid solution is that I am seeing waste water come from the rim, not flush water. This is really starting to worry me, as we've owned the boat for 3 weeks and this issue just arose out of nowhere. The original plan was to replumb the midships head with a dedicated pump, not this jury-rig mess I have right now. But I can't figure out why this toilet won't flush, but the aft one has no problem. PO lived aboard with this setup for over 2 years.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    I get what y'all are saying, but believe me there is one pump. It's wired so either the aft head or midships head controls it, and it pulls from both heads via a main line to the aft head with the midships head connected in there as well.

The new issue after trying the muriatic acid solution is that I am seeing waste water come from the rim, not flush water. This is really starting to worry me, as we've owned the boat for 3 weeks and this issue just arose out of nowhere. The original plan was to replumb the midships head with a dedicated pump, not this jury-rig mess I have right now. But I can't figure out why this toilet won't flush, but the aft one has no problem. PO lived aboard with this setup for over 2 years.
    Even though you've pumped her out, sounds like your holding tank(s) dip tube has suffered that all too familiar fate of corroding away. On a normal GM set-up, that's the only way waste will back up into a bowl. Sounds like your going to have to eliminate that possibility before proceeding.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post

The new issue after trying the muriatic acid solution is that I am seeing waste water come from the rim, not flush water.
    There is ZERO connection between the two in the proper setup..... It's one motor with two separate pumps on the two ends of it's spindle......The hoses do not meet.....

You have any pictures of this engineering marvel?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay