Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Galley Maid Head: Won't Flush

Well this is embarrassing but we've all done something like this . I threw out notes from PO's verbal walkthru of boat systems and started hand-tracing septic system. I have a separate pump for the aft head after all, and the midships head is the only toilet running off the port engine room macerator pump. However, the discharge line from that pump to the tank turned out to have a significant droop where it had been tucked up above the port drive shaft instead of being mounted with a lift at the pump then drop to the tank. So I will have to replace that line or lengthen it so I can route it properly. Along the way I also pulled the factory T-fitting off the holding tank, as my boat was built with a threaded flange on the tank. Someone before me - PO doesn't remember doing it but he was only second owner(?) sleeved the diptube with a PVC insert. I was able to put a new brass T-fitting on without breaking the bank because local Ferguson Plumbing Supply had one they had marked for clearance. I have a new cleanout cap on there as well, so I can open the tank from there for a visual monitor until I can install a tank monitor system. Looks like my biggest issue with the holding tank pumpouts was that I had been so diligent in flushing and pumping the last 2 weeks, was that I was emptying the tank to the point where there wasn't enough to pump out witout running water into it. Once I reroute the discharge line for the midships head, I believe I should have that operational again, and if so will adopt the monthly vinegar dump in the 2 operating heads. We're planning to replace the Galley Maid system with Dometics within the next year, so we're just trying to make the boat habitable until then. Again, I want to thank all of y'all especially Robert (ASLAN). Your help and videos were informative, especially since if I decide to retrofit holding tank pickup tube again means cutting it out and constructing the same type of plate you have. But I hope not to have to do that.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

You’re welcome, of course. One comment. If you have to add water to get the pump out going, your dip tube isn’t long enough. How short? How much water do you have to add? A little bit, no big deal. But, I’d like to know I got out all I could.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I don't understand how adding water works. If adding water raises the level to reach the dip tube, doesn't it stop pumping as soon as the water you added is pumped out and now the level doesn't reach the dip tube again?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Actually, it appears the PO's previous pumpouts being done in haste resulted in a lot of sludge at the bottom of the tank and I had to liquify it to pump it off. That has been the goal the last week or so, and finally paid off.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Then use a treatment chemical to liquify the effluent.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Actually, it appears the PO's previous pumpouts being done in haste resulted in a lot of sludge at the bottom of the tank and I had to liquify it to pump it off. That has been the goal the last week or so, and finally paid off.
    Oh, thanks. That makes sense.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The recommendation there was to use a slurry made up of Cascade Complete powder and let it sit. I've followed that recommendation and thats why it looks like we have successfully cleared the sludge. The vendor recommends Cascade as being similar to digestor or Ridx and much more inexpensive. They've used it on their own boats for several years. Now that I have that resolved I just have to reroute the midships head discharge hose to eliminate the sag.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    The recommendation there was to use a slurry made up of Cascade Complete powder and let it sit. I've followed that recommendation and thats why it looks like we have successfully cleared the sludge. The vendor recommends Cascade as being similar to digestor or Ridx and much more inexpensive. They've used it on their own boats for several years. Now that I have that resolved I just have to reroute the midships head discharge hose to eliminate the sag.
    Learned something new. Drain the dishwasher to the blackwater tank...well maybe not.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Learned something new. Drain the dishwasher to the blackwater tank...well maybe not.
    Good afternoon Robert, and everyone else. Well, I have tried rerouting the discharge line for the midships GM macerator pump with no change in performance, and the waste priming plug is seized in place. The waste hose from the toilet to the pump has flow (checked with fresh water). Decision has been made to replace the toilets with Dometic macerating toilets that will discharge directly to the holding tank. This will eliminate the GM pumps and associated problems. Once again I need to thank everyone for the info, advice and support. We're coming up on one-month anniversary of ownership, and the next project is the portside galley slider window- It has a leak, and every Hatteras we looked at in our boat search had a leak over the dining table. Yes, I said port... This Hatteras 54' is laid out backwards compared to every other Hat we looked at.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

A previous owner replaced both of our galley windows with one piece tinted glass. We have never felt the need to open them at any time. If the Admiral is cooking, the generator is running and we are air conditioned. If not then we have the bow hatch and the salon door open for through ventilation. Also when at anchor the boat is pointed into the wind making side windows less effective. If in a marina and side on to the breeze we are air conditioned so it does not matter.

Something to consider.......
    Last edited by Westfield 11; 09-23-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987