Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Galley Maid Head: Won't Flush

I have done a lot of searches but can't seem to find the exact cause for my problem. In the past, after running the boat, the master head would fill with water but not evacuate the bowl. Usually after several attempts, or manually emptying the head a few times, it would get suction and work fine. Now, no matter how many times I empty the bowl manually and try flushing, the bowl overflows with no suction out. I had the holding tank pumped and it is definitely empty. Any ideas on what to try next?

Re: Galley Maid Head: Won't Flush

Replace the stator on the "big" end of the pump - that's the "dirty" end.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by 53hatt View Post
    I have done a lot of searches but can't seem to find the exact cause for my problem. In the past, after running the boat, the master head would fill with water but not evacuate the bowl. Usually after several attempts, or manually emptying the head a few times, it would get suction and work fine. Now, no matter how many times I empty the bowl manually and try flushing, the bowl overflows with no suction out. I had the holding tank pumped and it is definitely empty. Any ideas on what to try next?
    I've had the exact same problem before. Sounds like it's time to rebuild the discharge side of the pump. Pretty simple job. First check to see if the head is clogged. Empty the bowl a bit and try to plunge it while flushing. If it still doesn't flush, try disconnecting the waste water discharge hose from the intake side of the pump. If there's no clog the water should flow freely.
    Jack Sardina

To add to my "replace the stator" comment, I did that once and still had no suction. It was because the discharge hose had become fully closed with the gradual build-up of that calcium or rock-like substance that plagues saltwater flushing heads. That stuff may not always be right at the end of the hose - you've got to inspect the entire hose, regularly, to see if you've got that build-up going on. My neighbor was having a problem like this. While troubleshooting the "it won't go down" thing, I told him to check his hoses. He did and said they were clear - he only pulled the ends off and peeked inside and the ends were clean. Turns out, he had a slight low spot and that's where the "cement" was.

It got to the point that once a year, I would have to remove the discharge hose (the one running between the pump and the holding tank) and take it outside and beat it to death until all the rocks crumbled and came out (or just replace the hose). I have four heads, and I got tired of that annual maintenance. I switched to freshwater flushers!

So, if you have saltwater flushing heads - check the last hose to see if it's been closed up; otherwise, replace the stator. There are some good instructions in the FAQ section here on how to remove the tee blade and get at the stator to pull it off.
    Last edited by Angela; 06-15-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

If another stator doesn't fix your problem, I'll second Angela's suggestion. My master head (the one the furthest from it's pump) wouldn't empty....no suction.

took the line off the pump and cleaned it out by banging it on the dock. And there was more blockage in the 90 degree bends of the pvc pipe that had to be replaced.

works like a charm now. All the comforts of home.

Before you tear into the big stuff, make sure you don't have a simple priming problem. The discharge line of the master head loses prime every time we run the boat, I have no idea why.

I did remove the copper line between the discharge and intake sides of the pump as suggested. Now it is easy to loosen the pipe plug on the discharge side until the air stops coming out. Then all is well.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Here's the issue I am experiencing - New to us boat, 1984 Hat 54'. The midships head seems to have a clog - water will come in but will not go down - but the aft toilet is flushing fine. Both toilets currently run to one Galley Maid macerator waste pump then to the holding tank. The PO apparently eliminated the second pump during the 7 years they owned the boat for easier maintenance. Since the 2 toilets run to one pump, I am thinking the clog is somewhere in the connection between the midships head and the union before the pump. I tried a couple of suggestions from fellow liveaboards here in the marina, but cannot get a snake into the PVC coming out of the back of the toilet - pic attached - as it won't make the second curve. I even bought a "skinny snake" to try to overcome this issue. Only thing I have not tried but has been suggested is the diluted muriatic acid solution in the bowl. Before I go that route, has anyone else tried it and did it work for you? Alternatively, cutting the PVC and then rejoining it has been thought out as well. Plunging the toilet has no effect whatsoever.

20200915_150848.jpg
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

If you are concerned that muriatic acid might be too harsh, try cleaning vinegar. It is available online at 30%.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I don't see how one pump and work for two heads. There must be another pump there somewhere. That just doesn't make sense.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You should have three head pumps one in the master, one in the starboard engine room and one in the generator room.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California