Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Route advice request: NYC to Baltimore MD

Hi.

It looks like I'm taking possession of a Chris Craft Commander 55 that's moored near the Statue of Liberty in NYC. I'll need to take her south to Baltimore and have been trying to determine the best route. By the looks of things, running outside to the Cape May Canal might be best as this vessel has a 48" draft and I hear bad things about the ICW through NJ...lots of shoaling and vessels hard aground in places where the channel depth is 8' on the charts. From there, we'd cross the C&D Canal and head south via the Chesapeake.

We're talking about making the trip July 1-3. Any particular weather, tide, local knowledge we should be aware of?

Cheers
    Q

Re: Route advice request: NYC to Baltimore MD

Wow, a 55 Commander, what a good looking boat and one of my favorites. Would you please post up pictures or any other info on your new boat?

Probably best to run outside. Decent inlets are Shark river, Mansquan (stop there give me a shout), Absecon (atlantic City), then cape may. Cape may to Utch's (or anchor). When I run it in my 43 it's cape may to Brielle (manasquan) not a bad run at hull speed. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Yep - done that exact thing several times - Outside to the Cape May canal; stay overnight at the South Jersey Marina at Cape May then up the Delaware to the C&D canal (be prepared for sloppy going in Del bay or the first 10-15 miles, maybe more), spend the night at Chesapeake City on the canal and then an easy ride to Bal the next day.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

OH NO, you bought Whitney's boat? Ask him for the bridge back!!

there is very limited anchoring space in Cape May. Utsch is the best bet for cheap fuel and dockage. if the weather is pretty good, i like to go thru Cape May and anchor in the lower Del. Bay, along the north shore, off the Maurice River. obviously not a good thing to do with southerly breeze or if any thunderstorms are expected

as mike said, the lower del. can be nasty with northerlies and an opposing tide with short steep waves. if that's the case, wait a day in CM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    OH NO, you bought Whitney's boat? Ask him for the bridge back!!
    Noooo! It looks MUCH better without that bridge~! I'm pleased to know that someone local here on the Bay bought her.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Slip at PNYH is waiting for you....

The ICW is out, forget that and look for a weather window. This time of year avoid the Delaware on southerlies against an ebb tide; just enjoy lovely Cape May for another day or two. We also like Utsch's as a marina. We used to anchor in Brigantine across from AC, Cape May was too long a day from NYC (Staten Island) for us at hull speed. Nice anchorage and fun to dinghy around there. You thenhave a short hop to CM is you want to see that or you can also anchor up behind Reedy Island on the Del and it's one day to Baltimore from there if you are in a hurry. We had a trip south once where the Delaware was absolutely dead flat bathtub calm, almost eerily so. So conditions vary greatly.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Noooo! It looks MUCH better without that bridge~! I'm pleased to know that someone local here on the Bay bought her.
    So you are one of them!!!