Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hand operated air pump used where?

I'm in the shop cleaning out old boxes that the PO gave me. Lots of things went into the trash. I kept some things. However, I found a hand operated air pump, like the ones you pump up a basketball. The needle in also attached to the pump. I'm racking my brains (what little I have) thinking what he could have used it for. I didnt see any basketballs or footballs. Maybe, just maybe, a system uses air pressure to operate and leaks down. Can I get a little help? Any ideas? Tanks oh great Hatteras guru's.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: Hand operated air pump used where?

To pressurize the steering resevoir!

with a needle... to inflate fenders.

without a needle... to pressurize the Hynautic steering reservoir.

don't leave dock without it!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Seems to be standard issue. I inherited the PO's hand pump, but now getting ready to rebuild the steering ram.
    Art

And likewise the hydraulic engine control reservoirs if you have those. And the football, of course.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thanks gurus'. I'll throw the pump in the truck to place somewhere on the boat. We do plan on going to Newbern and Cape Lookout next week. I'm glad I asked, and glad yall are keeping me out of trouble. The more I know about this boat, the more bumb I feel. Talk about a learning curve....
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

a hand pump and some spare fluid is a must have on a hynautic equipped boat!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We've all been there. 21 years and I am still learning things about mine. If I wasn't so dumb, I'd learn faster.

Quote Originally Posted by magnawake View Post
    Thanks gurus'. I'll throw the pump in the truck to place somewhere on the boat. We do plan on going to Newbern and Cape Lookout next week. I'm glad I asked, and glad yall are keeping me out of trouble. The more I know about this boat, the more bumb I feel. Talk about a learning curve....
    Pate, let us know your float plan. We will be in MHC and out at the Cape next weekend and the following week. Like Jim, I'm still learning too; I can point out a personal example or two or three or...of just how long the learning curve is for some of us, kind of shaped like an infinity symbol.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014