Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 45C with qsm11

Re: 45C with qsm11

My good friend has a series one 45c with the 660 QSM's, the boat is scary fast with power to spare. She'll loaf along all day @ 28kts and we have yet to see max RPM and load, it's just plain frightening into the mid 30's. The boat was not designed to go that fast and having helped through his repower one can be assured someone put WAY more $$$$ than the asking price into the advertised boat. The 45c/QSM combination is great, almost as nice as the 36c/6BTA

What all of you are saying is correct except one small item if it is sutch a good buy why isn't someone steping up. With CBS rumming their mouth to the fact fuel is comming down. It auta go very fast only time will tell. Frankely i bet it stays on the market for a long time if he sticks to the advertised price. Jack was right the deal of the century was the 52 with the cats i kick myself each time it comes up at about 165 to 175 what a boat. Saw a 46c today for 75 or so i posted it on a new threat.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 04-23-2012 at 07:11 PM.

30 knots is about as fast as I need to go. For 5000.00 per engine, I can up the hp from 535 to 660 (computer flash and injectors and something with the turbo) but I just don't think I "need" the speed. With the normal sea conditions off North Carolina, I'm happy if we are able to go 25 knots.
    Last edited by st.tully; 04-23-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by st.tully View Post
    30 knots is about as fast as I need to go. For 5000.00 per engine, I can up the hp from 535 to 660 (computer flash and injectors) but I just don't think I "need" the speed. With the normal sea conditions off North Carolina, I'm happy if we are able to go 25 knots.
    10 dollars toN.C. krispy cream donut it will keel walk a 28 to 29 knots. Unless you or someone has cut the keel down and then it might still lay on its side. Stick with the 25 knot cruse and B happy. Ask the guy in florida about the old Marry B maybee he will chime in Tim

Quote Originally Posted by st.tully View Post
    30 knots is about as fast as I need to go. For 5000.00 per engine, I can up the hp from 535 to 660 (computer flash and injectors and something with the turbo) but I just don't think I "need" the speed. With the normal sea conditions off North Carolina, I'm happy if we are able to go 25 knots.
    I would leave it alone if you are happy with the speed you have. Before bumping them up, I would make sure the gears are rated for the extra HP. You may also need a prop change and larger shafts. Do the 45C's have 2" or 2.5" shafts? Could cost a whole lot more than 10K.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    10 dollars toN.C. krispy cream donut it will keel walk a 28 to 29 knots. Unless you or someone has cut the keel down and then it might still lay on its side. Stick with the 25 knot cruse and B happy. Ask the guy in florida about the old Marry B maybee he will chime in Tim
    I don't think it's as much of an issue with the 45C's as it is with the older single chine hulls like the 46C and 45C series I. There are a few 45C series II out there with the bigger QSM11's and C12 Cats. Maybe one of those guys can comment on this.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I would leave it alone if you are happy with the speed you have. Before bumping them up, I would make sure the gears are rated for the extra HP. You may also need a prop change and larger shafts. Do the 45C's have 2" or 2.5" shafts? Could cost a whole lot more than 10K.
    they do not i put new shafts in mine they are certifird at 2 inch. I am pretty sure only the hp had the 2.5 shafts

TIM

The boat I referred to up above, "Green Eyed Girl" was stable at 34 knots on her sea trials and was only loaded to 94% on the Cummins digital readouts. I don't know about you guys, but that is as fast as I need to go, sitting fifteen feet above the water. Any faster than that, I want to be on land. GEG would no doubt go faster with more pitch in the wheels, but who needs it? This boat should be nearly as fast.

As far as why isn't it snapped up, well, all it takes is one buyer with real money and the determination to own it, and it will be gone. It's only late April. If this boat surveys well, and the price is in any way flexible, don't look for it to hang around a long time. I like the boat I have and don't need anything else, or I'd be on this one like white on rice. The Series II 45C has always been one of my favorite Hatteras yachts- maybe my favorite of all of them.

Karl, you should buy this boat, just so we can hear about it all the time. It has your name all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The boat I referred to up above, "Green Eyed Girl" was stable at 34 knots on her sea trials and was only loaded to 94% on the Cummins digital readouts. I don't know about you guys, but that is as fast as I need to go, sitting fifteen feet above the water. Any faster than that, I want to be on land. GEG would no doubt go faster with more pitch in the wheels, but who needs it? This boat should be nearly as fast.

As far as why isn't it snapped up, well, all it takes is one buyer with real money and the determination to own it, and it will be gone. It's only late April. If this boat surveys well, and the price is in any way flexible, don't look for it to hang around a long time. I like the boat I have and don't need anything else, or I'd be on this one like white on rice. The Series II 45C has always been one of my favorite Hatteras yachts- maybe my favorite of all of them.

Karl, you should buy this boat, just so we can hear about it all the time. It has your name all over it.
    Green Eyed Girl was one of the boats I was thinking of. I knew it performed well but don't remember if they did any work to the hull or if there were any stability issues at high speed.

As for this one selling, that all depends on the condition of the boat and if the right buyers look at it. The listing is weak to say the least. Some of the best deals I've seen have come from questionable listings. Problem is the price is high on top of that. Like all these old boats, the actual sales figures on the 45CII are low. The plus is she has the newer styling of the '88-90 45C and of course the engines. One potential issue is she is documented as a research vessel. May be nothing but given the lack of info and pics, she may have a modified interior. If she is a good clean boat and they're a bit flexible on price, she should go. Good clean boats have been selling and the prices have been a bit stronger, but only on the real good ones. The last 45C to sell was last month. It was a clean '89 with low hours and went for $105K.
    Jack Sardina

10. Re: 45C with qsm11

Jim, I know, but I've sworn off owning another big boat until my kid is out of the house -- another 2-3 years or so until she graduates.

Then, and only then, I'll be looking to bite, but my preference is going to run more toward the LRC-style of things, although if a 45C Series II is around with QSMs in it at the time, well.....

I've been on a Gigabite clone with the QSMs in it and it's an amazing difference in social manners (noise), speed and fuel burn. I'd much rather own that than a new Cabo or Bertram, even leaving aside the (monstrous) difference in price and I've ridden on all of them.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker