Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Chris Craft 480CPMY Catalina

I know this is not a Hatteras but does anyone have any real information on this Chris Craft model? I have noticed that it appears to be a Chris convertible hull with an aft deck between the saloon and cockpit, a three deck setup with forward and aft staterooms with a centered saloon. Was this model built during a desirable timeframe for Chris Craft and are they worthy of consideration for someone looking for a cruising boat with fishing capability?
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.VEr6Xr7kbdk
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...s#.VEr6kb7kbdk
    Thanks
    Randy

Re: Chris Craft 480CPMY Catalina

It is the 42' Chris Craft Catalina with an added cockpit. We had a 1988 and sold it in March. It comes with either gasoline or diesel. We had the gas and wanted longer range so we bought the 48' Hatteras CPMY. I do know it is seaworthy. We were in 10 footers coming from Key West to Marco and the bow never went under the water. It has a really thick hull--you will find more information if you research the 42 Catalina.

You want the one with the Cats, not the GM 8.2's. Beware of the aft fuel tank, under the berth. They are well known leakers. Other than that, it's a great boat for the $$.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Cool Re: Chris Craft 480CPMY Catalina

Thanks as this boat seems to have a lot going for it layout-wise. I find myself wondering how long I will want to climb ladders when boats are available to do what I would like to do with a boat 70/30 cruise/fish like this one with stairs. Hatteras simply does not have a legacy boat in this size and price ratio so it is either a Hatt convertible or maybe something like the ChrisCraft. In Hatt's its still the 46 to 52 convertibles for me. I really want to stay with Hatteras because of all the great support and feedback that these boats have not to mention their incredible stamina. But I will be open minded as I get into the thick of it.

Take a look in Yachtworld at the 1981 - 1984 48 Hatteras. It has all and more regarding space, seaworthiness and best of all .... it's a Hatteras... They were available as a cockpit version as well as a full MY. Great boat... As with any boat, the prices are negotiable. By the way, I believe those CC's were built when the Company was owned by Dale Murray and I have heard that his tenure with CC was not the best...

Walt
    Last edited by Walter P; 10-24-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: extra info....

Hi Randy

Are you on the West Coast?

Agree with SeaEric in avoiding the GM8.2 diesels. However, Condition still reigns supreme when considering one of these. The 1985 model will be slightly better built than an '88 in this particular model. It originally started out as the 42 Uniflite, which was followed in 1984 by the Uniflite 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht. Well built, with easy "no ladder" access. They were a good boat.

There is a 48' 1982 Hatteras Cockpit Motor Yacht being offered in Texas with 692s for $149,000ASK.

(I'm kind of surprised there aren't more of these Cockpit Hatterases for sale right now). There are also a couple of other models to consider while you are shopping...

There is a 50' 1984 Viking Cockpit MY with 671s in Texas, ASKING $139,000. This was an exceptionally well built model. Same layout as the Chris 48... An extension of the very successful 44 Viking motor yacht with added cockpit. Like the 48 Chris Catalina, the cockpit is actually big enough to fish out of.

Another 48' Cockpit boat to consider would be the 48 Californian/Carver CMY. 2 in California, but one with Cat Power in Maryland asking $169,000. These were well built with excellent wood work inside.

For a "price boat" with all the same features, (if you can find a nice one) will be the 46' 1987-1992 ish Wellcraft 460 San Remo Cockpit Motor Yacht. Usually with 3208 Cat Power. Lots of features with modern styling for a bargain price...

Take your time and explore them all...

Thanks Pizzaz. I have been looking at the Viking 50CPMY's on YW as well. There is another one available in Savannah for $119K ask. I live in NC but will be relocating back to FL east coast. I noticed the similarities with the Uniflites and the CC's and wondered if there was some co-manufacturing history with them. I got a chance to operate a 44 Tollycraft CPMY on the ICW in Ft Lauderdale this past spring and liked the layout of fore and aft staterooms with centered saloon and galley/dinette. Withe exception of the cockpit ladder, stairs instead of ladders and the large aft covered deck for entertaining that in most cases provided an upper level dingy platform. Saltshaker mentioned to me that the Viking also benefits from the hull coming from their convertible line and has a nice pronounced salty profile that appears to be able to handle head seas better than most CPMY's. I contacted the broker on the Savannah boat and he indicated that it had been well cared for but due to owner illness it has been sitting for a while. Link below and thanks again for the response as I will look at all of them including Hatt Converts (I can afford them a little better) as my primary goal is to own a Hatt and take advantage of all the support that is in place with you fine gentlemen and Sam's.
    Thanks
    Randy
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.VFEoAL7kbdk

I can tell you this boat has been for sale for at least a year, as I noticed it before I bought my yachtfish. Looks nice but it has definitely been for sale for a while. Pretty sure I remember the price being 150K back then. Just letting you know in case it would help you in the negotiation.............but I'd still go with a Hatt

Hi Season
    Forgive me for overlooking the Tollycraft models. Excellently constructed too. I also overlooked the 47 Prarie/Atlantic with cockpit. Wasn't there also a low price 42' 1996 Hatteras Cockpit Motor Yacht available not too long ago in Ft. Lauderdale?

I can see you've explored the better built options too. To cover all the bases, also take a glance at a "late model" (like 1995-2000) Carver Cockpit 50s? There were a few of those priced right not long ago. They offer fair quality in a modern boat with newer "everything" in a very comfortable layout.. There is a good argument for the long term ownership cost of a newer design.

Finding something worth buying is the real task. 96% of the boats I see, aren't! When you land on the nicest boat, already on the east coast, buy it...

An '80s vintage Viking can't compare to a Hatteras in ride or quality. I'd much rather have the Hatt or the Chris Craft. The Viking 44/50 have a nice layout but were prone to bad stringers and transmission failures. Ride is wet and stiff in even the slightest seas.
    Jack Sardina