Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    CaptnRick Guest

Unhappy Hatt 43 DC Sliding Window Replacement

My Starboard sliding glass window in the salon of my 1973 43 DC sustained a crack in a recent wind storm. (think something hit it) Has anyone replaced this window? Can it be done from the interior or do I have to attack it from the exterior? I suspect that I have to somehow remove the upper felt to allow the window to go up and then out?

Your help and comments, as always, are appreciated.

CaptnRick

Re: Hatt 43 DC Sliding Window Replacement

The side salon windows should lift up high enough be removed from the outside.
    My 71 43DC had some sag in the frame and I had to use a bottle jack to spread the frame about an 1/8 of an inch before the window would lift out.
    Capt Rob

Pull the stop block out first. Then slide the glass to the middle and lift up and out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Stop block should be screwed to the top of the frame. Mine was about 1.5" long and 1/4" wide fastened with 2 screws. Due to the rain channel, there is no way to remove them from the inside. You must remove from the outside. My salon windows and screens came out without jacking. My bridge windows would not come out. but rather than jacking, we split/broke them and made the new ones slightly shorter. While they are out, you should replace the nylon runners and fuzz. You can get them from Sam's. Some frames have slots to remove the fuzz. Mine did not, so I had to make my own slots with a dremel tool. Painful process, but they slide like new for the last 5 years.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Currently have all my 43DC frames out and just came back from powder coating. It's all as everyone else has said above. Take the cracked glass pane out and bring to glass shop so they can use as template, new one should drop in as easy as old one comes out. 1/4" Laminated Solex was stock glass, at least on my 1976 model - looking at about $80 a pane. If you do replace fuzz, it's about 100' of it per window frame. Per a past thread, believe it came from Pascal regarding what Jimmy Watts suggested, you can get a fancy paint can opener ($5) with good handle and modify the end to be rounded. Use it to 'zip' fuzz into track - did it last night and it works beautifully, can't think of any other way of doing it once you get hang of it. Dremeling 24 slots per frame in hard to reach aluminum tracks is 5 times as much work and not necessary with this trick. Additionally, you will break the anodization coating if you cut slots and invite corrosion unless you are taking whole frame out to be powder coated or re-anodized. I would add this however - I would hate to replace that much fuzz with window frame in place, the angles are odd and a heavy hand is needed using tool I described. Just ask yourself if that trip is really neccessary before removing old fuzz.

Do you know if the comments in this thread would be similarly applicable to the galley window? Specifically to the galley window on a 56' FDMY.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

CaptnRick Guest

Cool Re: Hatt 43 DC Sliding Window Replacement

Thanks to all for your helpful advice and comments. I plan to attempt the extraction this weekend or next depending on the length of the bosses honeydo list. I do plan to attempt the fuzzy and felt replacement as well so those tips will really come in useful.

Again, thanks to all for the help - I really appreciate it.

CaptnRick
    Andante

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    Do you know if the comments in this thread would be similarly applicable to the galley window? Specifically to the galley window on a 56' FDMY.

Yes, all of the Hatteras frames were made with the same extrusion.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Since your going fuzzy, I looked at tool to zip fuzzy in last night - it's actually a siding remover I picked up at Ace Hardware for $8. Here is link to it: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1295112

If you grind the lip down some alone with a swooping curve along leading edges, you can start fuzzy by pushing about 2" of it in with screw driver, then insert curved portion of tool into track and slide down as best you can. Hope it will make more sense once you see what you are dealing with. Good luck, it's one of the awful jobs that only you will smile at once done knowing how much it stunk making it happen.

Getting ready to tackle the galley sliding window on my 1986 Hat 54'. Been reading the forums, appreciate everyone sharing what they've found. My bigger worry is that PO put laminate up on inside over dining table, and I may be pulling that as well. If so will replace with a light wood to brighten up the galley/dining area instead. Just hoping I don't get into a black mold problem behind the laminate, PO said he checked it a few months ago and it was just rainwater intrusion.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL