Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

East Coast Anchorages

I remember seeing a thread by Pascal some time ago listing anchorages he had used going up the east coast with his 50 foot Hat. Have searched and can't find the thread...anybody got any suggestions on finding this thread?

Re: East Coast Anchorages

Here is a link to the updated (as of last fall) page

http://www.sandbarhopper.com/boatips/icwnotes.htm
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You could also look at " Skipper Bob's" book.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    You could also look at " Skipper Bob's" book.
    We used Skipper Bob's book extensively when we did the "loop" on our 43. It's excellent for boats around 40' or less with 4 foot or less draft, not so good for bigger boats. We found many of the anchorages were very tight on swing room for our 43.

I used Pascal's notes when we went up the east coast on our 54 last summer. He made those notes running a 70 footer, so I knew our 54 would fit. Kudos to Pascal for sharing this information. I hope he does it again the next time he makes that run.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

I have an extensive list based on my experience with my 56, we tuck into a lot of side waters not listed and would be happy to help anyone looking for some bucolic places to drop the hook.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Pascal thanks. I was worried about skipper bob,s anchorages since am an
    overall 56 foot chris craft. George can you pm me...would really like the out of the way anchorages..we will be leaving Naples,fl in 2 weeks...hopefully across the okechobee to Stuart,fl than up the coast to Eastport, Maine.

I never looked at skipper bob but many anchorages listed in guides are too shallow / tight for 50+

And looking at charts you can often find better spots to drop the hook anyway

One section with very few options is north of Myrtle Beach, to Beaufort. Except for Carolina beach and Mile hammock bay, there is very little to accommodate bigger boats
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I never looked at skipper bob but many anchorages listed in guides are too shallow / tight for 50+

And looking at charts you can often find better spots to drop the hook anyway

One section with very few options is north of Myrtle Beach, to Beaufort. Except for Carolina beach and Mile hammock bay, there is very little to accommodate bigger boats
    Wrightsville Beach is OK in this area as well, but it is very busy during day light on weekends. Watch the tides if you enter the anchorage area from just south of the bridge. Better to enter a mile or so south.

Bob

Just go to ActiveCaptain.com! Free to join, great for finding local anchorages, marinas, etc. You can use the maps and marine charts on-line for the area you will be cruising, and read approaches, depths, anchor holding. Great site.

Doug

Active Captain is an OK reference and certainly doesn't hurt to check, but I got sketchy info there more than a few times and have pretty much stopped using it.

I've anchored my 56 in Wrightsville Beach a few times, a couple of times in the Banks Channel anchorage and once out by the inlet. There is a dinghy dock off Banks Channel and the holding and protection is good. As noted, gets crowded on weekends especially during snowbird transient season. Mile Hammock can be a real adventure when the marines are doing drills, which can go on all night.

You can anchor off the Swansboro waterfront across from Casper's, but make sure you have a good set and swing room as the current gets sporty both ebb and flood. I just as soon tie up at Casper's as it is cheap and friendly and an easy walk into the nice little village.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014