Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: One heck of a boat

Nobody likes to eat fish more than I. But I'm mostly a bottom fisher, a meat fisher. My hat's off to those who go far out and take a beating for the big stuff.

These dedicated fishing boats are very specialized machines. They are also mostly day cruisers. They are designed to go out in almost any weather fast to catch fish, then return swiftly to the dock. It's very hard to sleep out there. Most don't.

Last year I was on about an 85 ft Hatteras fisher. It was nearly new and it was georgous. Had the most modern alarm system with info from each compartment right at the helm. You didn't have to worry about the portholes leaking either, because there weren't any. What do they do when the AC breaks?

By the way, if you fish, and see Fanfare anywhere, we will swap home-made-from-scratch pineapple upside-down cake or Dudley's famous fudge pie or other delectable foods for large quantities of fish. Just knock.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Re: One heck of a boat

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Handsome boat with some nice detailing. Can anyone tell me why Carolina boats 1) never have any portlights and 2) have no deck rails on the foredeck and 3) does this boat have a foredeck hatch? I know they look sleek without all this stuff but are they safe? Seems to me that a boat with only one way out isn't; also no way to safely go on the foredeck when you are at sea. I guess no one goes out there when the boat is not at the dock.
    The lazarettes are air conditioned and comfortable, no reason to go up front. Climbing over deployed riggers even with a rail is a PITA. Port lights leak and one of my crews biggest complaints is to much light in the cabins especially in the morning. We do not cruise much so the only time folks go up front for some anchoring and cobia fishing. We usually anchor from the cockpit using an anchor ball. I like having rails but I could do without them and older ones are to high.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son