Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One heck of a boat

This boat took two years to build it was the last boat built by the builder who was verry good and very proud of his work. It does not say but it will cruise at about 37 knots. I know for a fact it has made two trips to Bermuda from the N.C. coast in the past 3 years. Befor you go figure it had to carry fuel in blatter tanks but it did go. It fished for several weaks and returned home with out a glitch . It is a very nice boat just out of my leag. But i would love to own it. It really shines.
    Tim

YW# 12064-2318726

YW# 12064-2318726
    YW# 12064-2318726

54' Custom Carolina Gary Davis Sportfish
    Year: 1996
    Current Price: US$ 575,000
    Located in Atlantic Beach, NC
    Hull Material: Wood
    Engine/Fuel Type: Twin diesel
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 02-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Re: One heck of a boat

Mr. Powell,

I am fortunate enough to have a contract on this boat. Survey and sea trial are scheduled for Thursday the 30th August. Obviously you know this boat and think pretty favorably. I am very interested in any information you may have.

If you would like to pass on this information here on the forum, that would be great, but if you would prefer to do so in private that would also be great.

If you wish you could call me on my cell at 301-802-4663. My name is John Kirlin.

I will also try to write you a PM or email if possible, and would be more than happy to call you if you wish.

Thank you,

JPK
    (John P Kirlin)

By the way, I spoke with Gary Davis about the boat, he now oversees new construction for Jarrett Bay, which he has done since 1998. But he hasn't seen or been on the boat four seven or eight years.

JPK
    Last edited by JPK; 08-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Handsome boat with some nice detailing. Can anyone tell me why Carolina boats 1) never have any portlights and 2) have no deck rails on the foredeck and 3) does this boat have a foredeck hatch? I know they look sleek without all this stuff but are they safe? Seems to me that a boat with only one way out isn't; also no way to safely go on the foredeck when you are at sea. I guess no one goes out there when the boat is not at the dock.

Jim, when you get out there and see what these guys go crashing through at high speed, you'll begin to understand why they try to keep any penetrations to deck and hull at a bare minimum. These are fishing platforms first and foremost. All have a forward hatch. I am in a marina with a large number of this style Carolina boat, beautiful machines. Jarrett Bay, Spencer, Paul Mann, Shearline, and many others.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Handsome boat with some nice detailing. Can anyone tell me why Carolina boats 1) never have any portlights and 2) have no deck rails on the foredeck and 3) does this boat have a foredeck hatch? I know they look sleek without all this stuff but are they safe? Seems to me that a boat with only one way out isn't; also no way to safely go on the foredeck when you are at sea. I guess no one goes out there when the boat is not at the dock.
    Totally agree with your comments. I am amazed at the amount of high quality boats that have no bow rails, no hatches forward etc. Just look at the new Hatteras GT series. Half the boat is unusable when underway, just the cockpit. Don't these owners enjoy a bit of whale watching etc? or even just getting some breeze while trolling at 8 knots and watching out for dolphins in the bow wave?
    Then there is the safety issues. Also that many don't have an anchor??? Like I say, I just don't get it.

Light weight fold up anchors are in the cockpit somewhere and carried out to the bow or more typically stowed in a fwd hatch and pulled out when needed. Lots of these guys are now putting the hatches on backwards, so when blue water rips over the deck, it pushes the hatches down rather than ripping open and filling the boat. Malthiugh with the modern hull designs, it is becoming difficult to stuff a wave, even large down wind waves! The only guy who cares about bow rails is the mate who gets to wash the boat on the way in at 40 knots - that's a pretty good death march from the sides to the bow where the fresh water wash down is located!
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Brian pretty much gets it. These are big water fishing machines, not pleasure cruisers. The design revolves around that first and foremost.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I get that, and they do look very sleek. But God help anyone who has to go out on the foredeck anywhere except at the dock. There's nothing to grab on to if you begin to slide.

I don't know about other makes, but new Hatteras convertibles have an anchor locker and a Fortress 55 or 85 out there someplace. It's on the particulars list. And I think there's a windlass etc. You just can't see any of it. I suppose it's recessed in somewhere.

Hatteras seems to make one convertible with bow rails, etc- the 54 model. The 54 GT, which seems to be a different boat, does not have them.

Clutter and all, I think I'd still rather have them....