Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Beware of Xantrex products.....!!

I just want to save any of you from the hassle I'm going through with Xantrex....

I bought a Statpower TC40 in 2002 to charge the three battery banks on my 46C. There are two banks of parallel 8D's and one bank with a 4D for starting the generator. The charger was mounted in the engine room on a forward bulkhead. It worked flawlessly for 11+ years, and finally failed.

I noticed that Xantrex is now the parent company and they sell a new, redesigned version of the Statpower chargers. I decided to buy a slightly larger charger this time, and I purchased a TC6012, their new 60 amp battery charger. This time, I mounted it on the other side of the forward engine room bulkhead in a closet. This location will keep it a lot cooler, and give it cool air to circulate through it.

I installed it in October of 2011, and it failed in January of 2012. Customer service wouldn't accept my diagnosis that the charger failed and gave me a list of "checks" to make. I made their checks plus a few others. I recontacted the guy and went through my findings. He stopped me halfway and agreed the charger was the problem. He gave me a return authorization.

I shipped the charger to them and three weeks later I get a box from Xantrex. They sent me a new charger and a new remote control panel. I was a little shocked that they sent me a new remote as I had isolated the charger and there was no apparent problem with the remote panel. I still had the original remote panel installed on my boat.

I went to install the new unit and I realized why they sent me a new remote panel...... because they sent me a 40 amp charger instead of a 60 amp charger.....!?!?

WTF..!? They had to know they were sending me a smaller charger, because they sent me the appropriate remote control (the 60amp remote panel is different from the 20amp & 40amp panel).

They haven't seen fit to answer my email yet, but I'm kinda at a loss at this alleged customer service... No note, no email, no phone call..... they just sent a smaller, cheaper unit as a warranty replacement.

Do yourselves a favor and avoid Xantrex products....!

Re: Beware of Xantrex products.....!!

I heard the same kinda crazy story from a friend. I have a Xantrex and currently crossing fingers that it wont fry my batteries. I'm thinking about changing to a inverter/charger anyway. Sorry to hear your trouble.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Xantrex has had a bad rep for many years re their inverter chargers. Seems they fail just outside of warranty and are hard/impossible to repair. There are many reliable brands out there including Magnum, Victron, etc. They have been discussed here in the past as well as the trawler forums.

Bobk

I still haven't heard from Xantrex...... Time for another phone call......

I searched this forum and found some not-so-good reviews of Xantrex. I wish I had read them before this purchase, but hey, my last charger worked well for over 10 years...

I should have bought the NewMar, even though it was more money..... I guess it's true, you get what you pay for....

UPDATE: Well I actually got to speak to a person at customer service. I spoke with Shaun LeMay. He was the original person I dealt with. I must admit, he was extremely helpful and apologetic. He said the case showed that I would be sent a new series 60 amp charger and remote panel. He said it was a "picking error" at the shipping point. He arranged to have a new charger sent out this week, and UPS will stop by to pick-up the 40 amp charger sent in error....

So it seems I will get their new series 60 amp charger and remote (about a $40 difference from what I paid). Once I got a person on the phone, they were courteous, helpful, and apologetic about the mix up, and corrected it. This may work out in the end (fingers crossed)..........
    Last edited by hattitude; 02-21-2012 at 01:27 PM.

It seems that the old Statpower products performed well. When Xantrex came into the picture, that's when things went south.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

A mixture of beancounters and sub standard Chinese parts, I had a similar issue with a Analytic Systems charger, failed outside warranty, repaired $800.00, failed 10 mos. later, the repair guy said the original repair parts were "sub standard" and not used anymore.....3 yrs on, still all ok....

I think Analytic has really improved. I had to replace mine as well. The first one was on the boat when I bought it so I don't know the age. The new one has an extra cooling fan and they also added the equalize feature.

I had to pull a bad 48v Analytic from a 60MY. I sent that in and they repaired it. Something was wrong with the temp sensor board. All is well on both and it's been several years now.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Xantrex changes their product line too often, and they don't back up their old stuff. If my current charger, a Statpower 40, finally packs up, I will get something else. I had a Xantrex battery charge meter (a Link 20) and it did not last long and was unserviceable and unreplacable- and I had a hole in the panel I had to fill. Next time, it will be some other outfit I buy from.