Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stream Pandora on Boat Stereo System

I rarely use the stereo system aboard my 56MY. However, lately I have been listening to Pandora streaming via my Ipad or Cell Phone. Although not novel, I decided to try to stream Pandora through the boat stereo system (circa 1990) and succeeded. I was able to purchase a Sony Bluetooth receiver (read gadget not stereo receiver) and it took about 5 minutes to hook it to the aux or tape inputs in the rear of my boat stereo system. Now I can stream Pandora throughout the boat wirelessly from my Ipad or cell phone. Since I have a hot spot wifi set up on the boat, I use that wifi connection to get Pandora and stream away. Total cost--about $75.

Re: Stream Pandora on Boat Stereo System

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I rarely use the stereo system aboard my 56MY. However, lately I have been listening to Pandora streaming via my Ipad or Cell Phone. Although not novel, I decided to try to stream Pandora through the boat stereo system (circa 1990) and succeeded. I was able to purchase a Sony Bluetooth receiver (read gadget not stereo receiver) and it took about 5 minutes to hook it to the aux or tape inputs in the rear of my boat stereo system. Now I can stream Pandora throughout the boat wirelessly from my Ipad or cell phone. Since I have a hot spot wifi set up on the boat, I use that wifi connection to get Pandora and stream away. Total cost--about $75.
    Pretty amzing stuff. Our boat came with a Lear Jet 8 track player built in from Hatt. Bill Lear of the biz jet fame invented the 8 track tape. Later on we put one on the bridge. Can't tell you how many 8 track tapes I've left scattered on the bottom at the Baltimore Canyon. I thought the MP3 media format was the ultimate and have over 200gig of music downloaded. But this Pandora is really cool how it looks for similar artists and songs using guitar riffs and such. I still have a large LP collection but am in want of a belt for my turntable. Records are not dead tho, my brother inlaw builds hi end turntables and sells to the Asian market. His units run up to $100k and he is 6 mo backordered.
    Last edited by rsmith; 02-02-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Bluetooth is ok but range is limited. If you have an iOS device, I prefer using an apple TV connected to a stereo. Much more range and you can stream just about anything via AirPlay

Apple TV is $99 and a router is dirt cheap. You can also use it to AirPlay video from YouTube and other sources to your TV

Been using it here at the house while building the boat, works great. Going to use the same set up on the boat for charters, most guests have iOS devices

Btw, a great free music app is TuneIn radio. You get 1000s of radio stations from around the world, I ve been listening to an 80s station from Italy, no talk only good music.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I mostly only listen to internet based music now. I stream Pandora from my phone to my car stereo via the Motorola Bluetooth for my phone. At home I listen to Rhapsody that is deployed throughout my house via a Sonos wireless set-up. My Rhapsody "to go" subscription ($15./mo) lets me download a bunch of stuff to an MP3 player that I use on airplanes and on the boat by hooking the MP3 to the boat stereo. I can't imagine having to buy CD's anymore.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Just out of curiosity, WHAT is in a 100K turntable? A solid gold platter for the LPs? I have never heard of such a thing. I have heard of high-end audio, but that is beyond high-end- that is in the stratosphere.

I have a Sony system that streams Pandora from cable internet. I wish I had invented Pandora- it is a very clever idea. There doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of stations you can set up, and I keep getting new ideas for it. These guys are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Just out of curiosity, WHAT is in a 100K turntable? A solid gold platter for the LPs? I have never heard of such a thing. I have heard of high-end audio, but that is beyond high-end- that is in the stratosphere.

I have a Sony system that streams Pandora from cable internet. I wish I had invented Pandora- it is a very clever idea. There doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of stations you can set up, and I keep getting new ideas for it. These guys are brilliant.
    There made by his robotics division. If your an audiofile and have a $100k laying around you might want to give them a call.
    http://www.wmrobots.com/
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have a newer Yamaha receiver on the boat and bought an iPhone/iPod dock for it. Works great and charges the device while playing. We have access to all the purchased music as well as anything the phone can access such as Pandora. Bummer if you get a phone call though. That is the shortcoming of using your phone as an audio device!

There are many options with music/phones/audio these days.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

"Bummer if you get a phone call though." I take it you are on Verizon, Sprint, or US Cellular?
    Our marina recently changed its wi-fi system so that you have to click on an "accept" terms and conditions button to get to the internet. So now, non browser based apps like Apple TV, and those on our new TV and Blu-Ray player (Netflix, Pandora) don't work. I can take my 3G card and put it on one of the computers and set up an independent hot spot that the other devices can connect to, but that's both a little funky and not as fast. So you gotta kinda know what you got, infrastructure wise. We really enjoyed Netflix and Pandora when they were easy to use, and still enjoy them on the computer, though the sound system is not near as good and the screen a 21 instead of 37". Does anybody know if there is a bridge out there like the Rogue that can automatically get through one of these cyber gate keepers?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

""Bummer if you get a phone call though." I take it you are on Verizon, Sprint, or US Cellular"

I don't think it s a network issue. With AT&T when a call comes in, music is also interrupted.

Some hotspots restrict some apps incl streaming but not all hot spots with accept splash page do that. I ve often connected to hotspots where you have to accept the conditions of use thru yr browser, but once that a done other apps or non browser based software can use the connection ( skype, webcam, etc)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    ""Bummer if you get a phone call though." I take it you are on Verizon, Sprint, or US Cellular"

I don't think it s a network issue. With AT&T when a call comes in, music is also interrupted.
    If I was with AT&T, my phone would never ring since they have no service near my boat! LOL
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt