Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hit a dumpster last week...

years ago, most islands used to dump garbage in the water... I used to lived on St barth and in the late 80s, finding such things as fridges floating wasn't rare... they'd throw them out and of course the insulation would keep them afloat...

a few motnhs ago, i was running on the bay at night, heard a container ship calling the USCG on 16 to report the loss of 7 40' containers, 10miles off government cut.. :-(
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just imagine how much garbage can is generated everyday by 6000 men on board an aircraft carrier …

That garbage has to go somewhere…

USN used to throw everything over the side but in recent years has gone "green" and everything gets thrown in a garbage barge that then goes somewhere.

That stuff in plastic bags used to float a long time though.

Re: Hit a dumpster last week.../Floating stuff

More floating stuff...
    Nine or ten years ago a barge loaded with pulp wood lost most of the load over the side into Lake Michigan. Massive problems for pleasure boats for a couple years...but it became obvious what the flow patterns were in the lake. Those logs went all up and down the lake in a nice flowing pattern.

Lo and behold, the log shippers did it again a year or so later. USCG pulled their license! Unless the practice has been stopped, tugs used to pull huge rafts of logs in Lake Superior and of course used to lose a few.